Twilight Time / Redwind

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
bradass

Re: Twilight Time

#2651 Post by bradass » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 pm

I assume that the rights for these films would revert to production company Les Films du Carrosse, likely controlled by Truffaut's estate and not by one of the big French distributors. It's possible these could go to Janus/Criterion, but if a different French distributor buys the library, they may find another home. The only other company I can think that would license these for the long haul is Cohen Media Group. Otherwise, Janus is the go-to for foreign-language films looking for a forever home. If they're licensed piecemeal, Janus may only bother if new masters are created at the same time.

captveg

#2652 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Swamp Water and The Bride Wore Black are now both sold out.

Aunt Peg

#2653 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:22 am

May/June releases

THE MAN IN THE MOON (1991) BLU-RAY - May 16th

WHO’LL STOP THE RAIN (1978) BLU-RAY - May 16th

INFERNO 3D (1953) BLU-RAY - May 16th

THE STONE KILLER (1973) BLU-RAY - May 16th

BRUTAL TALES OF CHIVALRY (aka SHOWA ZANKYO DEN, 1965) BLU-RAY - May 16th

THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN (1969) BLU-RAY - June 13th

THE QUIET AMERICAN (1958) BLU-RAY - June 13th

HELL AND HIGH WATER (1954) BLU-RAY - June 13th

THE VALACHI PAPERS (1972) BLU-RAY - June 13th

SNAKE IN THE EAGLE’S SHADOW (1978) / DRUNKEN MASTER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 13th

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2654 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:38 am

So, a bunch of third tier movies that Olive would have put out, cool

Costa

#2655 Post by Costa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:49 am

domino harvey wrote:So, a bunch of third tier movies that Olive would have put out, cool
Don't know any movie and since I have a limited budget, nothing for me.

let's see:
Disappointed by the recent announcements of Eureka, Criterion, Arrow video, Twilight Time. (doesn't really matter because I'm way behind my Bluray purchases)
Now looking forward to Arrow Academy! :D

(Plague Dogs! Plague Dogs! Plague Dogs! Plague Dogs! Image)

I know, I'm difficult, but I buy the absolute necessary now.
Currently unemployed Greek living in Greece right now, so I guess you get the idea! :lol:

FrauBlucher

#2656 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:So, a bunch of third tier movies that Olive would have put out, cool
Now, now, those are Redman's dream releases.

What A Disgrace

#2657 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:14 pm

the most exciting title of the bunch if the best of Sam Fuller's worst films.

joshua

#2658 Post by joshua » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:15 pm

If you like either of the respective genres, I think the releases of Brutal Tales of Chivalry and the Yuen Woo-ping/Jackie Chan titles are pretty exciting. I'll probably go for the MoC release of the later two (assuming they are releasing Snake) but unless Arrow is going to release the eight Brutal Tales films in a box, I'm absolutely going to pick this first one from TT.

beamish13

#2659 Post by beamish13 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm surprised you folks are so cool on the very solid Who'll Stop the Rain, but there wasn't a whole lot of enthusiasm for Reisz's The French Leiutenant's Woman, either.
More Tuesday Weld in HD is always a good thing.

Man in the Moon is nice, too. Not top-tier Mulligan, and a bit melodramatic, but it's anchored by some really great performances.

JMULL222

#2660 Post by JMULL222 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:08 am

HELL AND HIGH WATER is a magnificently composed film ('Scope, natch), and I'm excited to see it coming out (though reports that it is not among Fuller's most successful works—in terms of drama, anyway—are indeed accurate.) SNAKE and DRUNKEN are both treasures, too, though I suspect their gang of converts have mostly been found already.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2661 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 am

Hell and High Water is the only Fuller film I've seen and chose not to own. (I've not seen Shark or the post-White Dog films.) I'll wager it's because Fuller wrote from an already existing script that it's fairly conventional and somewhat of a dud. There are a couple of suspenseful moments on the submarine and a few injected doses of war realism in a couple of places, but overall it's fairly feeble and not comparable to the usual quality of his films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2662 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:27 am

Hell and High Water would be a hard pause at $11 from Kino Lorber. At $30, it's an easy pass. Plus, a Fox Fuller title that's HD ready? Wake me when MOC puts it out in a few months and I'll reconsider

captveg

#2663 Post by captveg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 pm

I will eventually pick up Inferno as I am committed to supporting 50s 3D, even though I've been able to see this one already, and it's only really good in the last 20-25 minutes, IMO.

I haven't seen any of the other films, so on the TT watch list they go. I'll probably start with the Jackie Chan films as they seem the most likely to sell out due to a dedicated fan base.

olmo

#2664 Post by olmo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:40 am

Received my copy of Chilly Scenes of Winter here in the UK this week, haven't viewed the film since chancing upon it via a satellite channel during a sick day in the mid 90's.

Heard's performance makes the film, understated, heartfelt and genuinely likeable as Charles, the lovelorn Salt lake City civil servant. Mary Beth Hurt also worth a mention, like Lisa Eichorn in a film around the same time, Cutter's Way aka Cutter & Bone, I struggle to think why these weren't breakout performances for them both, and why their careers somewhat floundered in film post late 70's / early 80's.

Great supporting cast; Kenneth Macmillan, Peter Reigert, Nora Heflin and the wonderful Gloria Grahame round out a film that went pretty much under the radar *certainly in the UK* but is one of my personal favourites. Possible accusations that it rode on the coat tails of the vaguely similar Annie Hall (in the unrequited love motif, and certainly in sentiment), though the source novel was written in 1976 predating Allen's landmark. *haven't read the novel but believe it to be fairly authentic*.

Only gripe is when checking the subs, there's a misheard / misunderstood line from one of Charles's witticisms;

'I read a magazine article on Jacques Cousteau, where a dolphin grew so fond of him, she always had her head out of the water to see him. Got sunburned. Christ, even if you're a dolphin love gives you a headache'

The subs read; 'Christ, even if you're a dolphin lover you get a headache'. Doesn't even make sense.

Ribs

#2665 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 am

TT Email wrote:We are also very excited to announce a very special promotion we are calling March Madness. Throughout the month of March, all of our MGM/UA titles will be on sale at incredibly low prices. Many of these titles will likely sell out this month, so don't delay and miss your chance to own these collector's edition Blu-ray discs.
All of them? Is their license expiring or something?

dwk

#2666 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Screen Archive posted the list of MGM sale items over at the Blu-ray.com forums:
TWILIGHT TIME LIMITED SALE

MGM/UA MARCH MADNESS SALE!

SALE BEGINS WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1ST 4PM EDT

THROUGH FRIDAY, MARCH 31ST 4PM EDT!

NOTE: DIFFERENT PRICE BRACKETS PER TITLE.

ORDERS MUST BE PLACED DURING THE SALE PERIOD TO OBTAIN THE SALE PRICING. NO PREVIOUS, CURRENTLY PENDING OR FUTURE ORDERS QUALIFY.

ORDER FROM http://WWW.SCREENARCHIVES.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; AND USE CODE SHIPPING10 AT CHECKOUT TO SAVE 10% ON SHIPPING FOR THE FOLLOWING SALES TITLES ONLY.

PRICE BRACKET 1: $9.95
ZULU
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE
BRANNIGAN
THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA
AUDREY ROSE
THE FANTASTICKS
THE STORY OF ADELE H.
AMERICAN BUFFALO
MISSISSIPPI MERMAID
KINGS GO FORTH
LILIES OF THE FIELD

PRICE BRACKET 2: $14.95
RADIO DAYS
FOLLOW THAT DREAM
DOGS OF WAR
SALVADOR
THE KILLER ELITE
UNDER FIRE
THE BELIEVERS
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
INHERIT THE WIND
YENTL
THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
LOVE AND DEATH
LENNY
SOLOMON AND SHEBA
THE BOUNTY
RICHARD III
STATE OF GRACE
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS
THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT
SUMMER LOVERS
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY
10 TO MIDNIGHT - FEWER THAN 40 COPIES!
AT CLOSE RANGE
STRANGE INVADERS
SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE
SHADOWS AND FOG
SCORPIO
THE HAPPY ENDING
HAWAII
BOUND FOR GLORY
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF / SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER
THE HAWAIIANS
EXODUS
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT
CHATO'S LAND
CUTTER'S WAY
A PRAYER FOR THE DYING
EUREKA
I COULD GO ON SINGING
ROLLERBALL
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES
INSERTS
ROMEO IS BLEEDING
THE BLACK STALLION RETURNS
THE GLORY GUYS
BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA
THE TRAIN

PRICE BRACKET 3: $17.95
COMES A HORSEMAN

PRICE BRACKET 4: $19.95

ZELIG
THE RUSSIA HOUSE
THEATRE OF BLOOD
FROM NOON TILL THREE
EYE OF THE NEEDLE
REMO WILLIAMS
MURPHY'S LAW
RUNAWAY TRAIN
BOXCAR BERTHA
MOBY DICK
I WANT TO LIVE!
THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA
NICHOLAS NICKLEBY
STARDUST MEMORIES

PRICE BRACKET 5: $24.95
STANLEY & IRIS
CHILLY SCENES OF WINTER
INTERIORS

pointless

#2667 Post by pointless » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Received via email from Screen Archives:
NEW RELEASES NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1ST AT 4PM EDT!
Special bundle price available to those customers
who purchase all four new titles!
$5.00 off each title when all four are purchased together!
Promotional pricing valid Wednesday, March 1st at 4pm EDT through Wednesday, March 8th 4pm EDT.

Image Image

Image Image
The bundled releases are the four March 2017 preorder titles: Baby Boom, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Our Man in Havana and Peyton Place.

thelberg

#2668 Post by thelberg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Finally biting the bullet on some Woody Allen titles. Between this and the Criterion Store flash sale, I'm a bit tapped out.

Cronenfly

#2669 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for posting about the sale. Picked up several random titles for $10-15 I never would have gone for at $30. Would've been nice to get The Bride Wore Black, but hopefully a superior edition is forthcoming from another label (despite their imperfections I decided Mermaid and Adele H were worth $10 apiece).

CSM126

#2670 Post by CSM126 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:23 pm

I don't normally buy from TT, but I love Interiors, so I bought their disc. Whoever this Julie Kirgo is, she ain't much of a film scholar, because her writing - both the liner notes and even the damn synopsis on the back cover! - belie the fact that she watched this movie once and barely paid attention. It's like she got Geraldine Paige's character mixed up with Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. "Controlling madness", "caught in her web", talk of how she brilliantly manipulates people. And the way she reaches to turn the movie into some metaphor for benign WASPy anti-semitism? Good grief.

They can't possibly produce such an awful product on a regular basis, can they? And still be in business? And claiming the mantle of "film historians"? Jesus.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#2671 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:51 pm

I stopped listening to TT's commentaries because of Kirgo, I really have trouble with her. (Redman is OK.) I forget which Truffaut it was (Mermaid or The Bride, probably), but she makes it sound like she's a Truffaut expert but then she couldn't put some of his films in the correct chronological order.

dwk

#2672 Post by dwk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:28 pm

You want bad? The liner notes for Twilight Samurai are laughably bad. To be fair, I recall her liner notes for Killer Elite being ok, but other than that, I can't think of any that are worth reading.

L.A.

#2673 Post by L.A. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:41 am

Maybe, just maybe, a TT title that caught my attention: Gran Bollito / Black Journal (1977)

If I buy this, then the next day Indicator announces their edition :?. Would rather buy theirs.

Costa

#2674 Post by Costa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:35 am

What studio's are the common BLurays in Indicator and TT?
I would prefer Indicator's too, since they are cheaper.
But if there are some TT blurays from a studio that indicator hasn't got a deal with, I'll buy the TT ones.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2675 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:45 am

Sony