Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
oh yeah

Re: Twin Peaks

#426 Post by oh yeah » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:45 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
oh yeah wrote:I find the weakest episodes in a way the most fascinating of all, they're so different from everything else and so ridiculous at times that you just wonder how it happened.
While there are arguments out there for and against David Lynch being involved in the downward trajectory of season 2's mid-section, I tend to feel that it was likely Robert Engels & Harley Peyton (and quite likely CBS) who were at fault. At least, based on the intended direction for the season finale before Lynch took over the reigns.

The Wrapped in Plastic magazine had an article about the very different approach it would've taken (specifically with regard to the representation/characterisation of the Black Lodge, Bob & Windom Earl).

Original script. Wikipedia has a breakdown of the changes.
Oh yeah, the original finale script is pretty horrible. I mean, maybe it would play out ok if filmed as planned, but it's just hard to look past how brilliant Lynch's finale is -- and how much of its brilliance comes from doing precisely the opposite kind of stuff that the original script wanted.

Also, another reason that I kind of like the weaker episodes is because sitting through them, and THEN getting to Lynch's finale, is just such a great experience -- the shock, the jolt of the uncanny that Lynch's episode produces coming after hours of much more literal-minded and conventional material, is just... amazing. I likened it on another board to taking five hits of strong acid after having only subsisted off of Miller Lights. Because even when the non-Lynch stretch of late Season 2 gets good, it still lacks that inimitable atmosphere that Lynch himself brings, a kind of magic feeling that lets you know you're in the hands of a master filmmaker right from frame one.

sir_luke

#427 Post by sir_luke » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:39 pm

A tweet from the Twin Peaks Archive blog says that Mark Frost stated On the Air might be included on the Season 3 blu-ray set.

sir_luke

Twin Peaks

#428 Post by sir_luke » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:15 pm

S3 two-hour premiere slated for Sunday, May 21st. My birthday, incidentally. I always knew Lynch and I were connected on a spiritual level.

Finch

#429 Post by Finch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:58 pm

I find it odd that Lynch and Frost consented to Episodes 3 and 4 being available for streaming before they are being aired a week later. The weekly format was why they decided against Netflix in the first place.

Pleased to hear Lynch say that Laura Palmer continues to play a big part in Season Three. Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise were on set filming scenes but it was still nice to get it confirmed that they are crucial to Season Three's storyline.

Might be reading too much into it but I found it interesting that the logo for the show has been in a red font on the promo videos and some of the promo material.

Ribs

#430 Post by Ribs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm

I expect it's entirely to do with the following weekend being Memorial Day, a Holiday that even stops the most-watched show on TV (Game of Thrones) for a week each year.

Similarly, there's weird rules with the Emmy's about having aired so many episodes by such-and-such a date, and this is probably also designed to account for that.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#431 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:25 pm

This is news to me but 33 1/3's book on the soundtrack will be released this week.

teddyleevin

#432 Post by teddyleevin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:A question for anyone else who's received this - does the main part of the package with the disc pages come out of the box, or is it attached? Mine popped right out, and is covered in glue on the underside. However, there was a slip of paper that said "Fire Walk With Me" underneath of it with a bunch of dirt artwork, so I'm thinking that might be a deliberate nod to the locket? I'm just wondering if I should be pursuing replacement packaging here.
My first package from Amazon (just received) had this defect; so did the second I ordered as a replacement. Gonna call it a day and appreciate that I can get the discs out easier. At least the outside was intact!
Last edited by teddyleevin on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Ryan

#433 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm

I just applied Elmer's glue to the back of the big disc holder insert piece (although not on the little door obviously) and re-seated it. The insert has held for over a year and I can now open the little door to discover the hidden message to my heart's delight.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#434 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

My replacement from Amazon from way back on release week is still holding up, though somewhat ironically (since I hadn't dug into watching this Twin Peaks set until this past weekend), I just discovered that my big heart-shaped I Love Lucy series box has come unglued. It had a good run.

teddyleevin

#435 Post by teddyleevin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Now that I know that the little door is there, I wonder if it will hold the same mystique, but thanks for the glue tip. Maybe it's worth ONE last replacement from Amazon.

Now I will go take a look at my I Love Lucy box. Dreading...

oh yeah

#436 Post by oh yeah » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

dadaistnun

#437 Post by dadaistnun » Thu May 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Another new teaser, with glimpses of some of the actors.

oh yeah

#438 Post by oh yeah » Fri May 05, 2017 3:51 am

Everyone looks quite depressed, or troubled in some way. I have a vague hunch that Carl might not last past the first few hours; he seems a very tragic figure.

I think this has the potential to be Lynch's magnum opus, though I'm keeping my expectations realistic. I doubt it'll be a total disappointment, though. 18 hours of Lynch! 18 hours. It was written as one script, and only broken into parts because it had to be for television. So this is basically like getting a new Lynch film, except it's 16 hours longer than usual. Not bad - talk about making up for the post-Inland Empire hiatus!

Noiradelic

#439 Post by Noiradelic » Fri May 05, 2017 7:19 am

Just noticed Jim Belushi's in the cast -- some kind of nod to Wild Palms?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#440 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 05, 2017 9:41 am

Noiradelic wrote:Just noticed Jim Belushi's in the cast -- some kind of nod to Wild Palms?
That would be hilarious (and pretty esoteric)

Forrest Taft

#441 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am

oh yeah wrote:Everyone looks quite depressed, or troubled in some way. I have a vague hunch that Carl might not last past the first few hours; he seems a very tragic figure.
I think (and hope) you're wrong.
SpoilerShow
If the info about Carl in Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks is anything to go by, he has a deeper connection to the mystery off Twin Peaks than was revealed in Fire Walk With Me.

Roger Ryan

#442 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri May 05, 2017 12:00 pm

C'mon, he's clearly gazing up in horror at the Xenomorph just before his skull is shattered.

teddyleevin

#443 Post by teddyleevin » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Harry Dean Stanton's "I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am" is one of the most touching, mysterious, and wonderful moments in all of FWWM. After the recent trailer, I've seen a few articles that reference "newcomer Harry Dean Stanton" as joining the cast, which is not only odd because of his remarkably advanced age, but shows how just how many folks have never seen (or else, disregard) FWWM.

Werewolf by Night

#444 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm

oh yeah wrote:Everyone looks quite depressed, or troubled in some way.
Old. Old is the word you’re looking for.

dda1996a

#445 Post by dda1996a » Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Well I really like FWWM and forgot he was there. A rewatch is due. I'm guessing we'll get closure regarding Chester?

hearthesilence

#446 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
oh yeah wrote:Everyone looks quite depressed, or troubled in some way.
Old. Old is the word you’re looking for.
And GRAY. Kinda wish Coop went gray too, now it looks too much like a dye job.

calculus entrophy

#447 Post by calculus entrophy » Fri May 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Favorite HDS line:

“It’s just, like, more shit I gotta do now,”

Roger Ryan

#448 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri May 05, 2017 4:11 pm

dda1996a wrote:...I'm guessing we'll get closure regarding Chester?
Seems like it would be a natural thing to address somewhere in those 18 hours, but Chris Isaak is not included in the huge cast list. Perhaps his disappearance will remain a mystery.

Cde.

#449 Post by Cde. » Sat May 06, 2017 1:07 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
dda1996a wrote:...I'm guessing we'll get closure regarding Chester?
Seems like it would be a natural thing to address somewhere in those 18 hours, but Chris Isaak is not included in the huge cast list. Perhaps his disappearance will remain a mystery.
Mark Frost confirmed that he and Lynch at least discussed bringing his character back. Bowie was signed on and set to return as Jeffries before his illness made that impossible, so I expect most of FWWM's mysteries to be addressed.

whaleallright

#450 Post by whaleallright » Mon May 08, 2017 3:26 pm

why would people want the "mysteries" to be "addressed"?

one of the things I admire about the final cut of Fire Walk with Me is that instead of "clearing up" the dangling plot lines from the series, it mostly, deliriously compounds the confusion.