Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
carmilla mircalla

Re: Twin Peaks

#551 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue May 23, 2017 7:14 pm

I fell off with Lynch after Inland Empire and still cannot handle that film because of his stylistic switch with HD but going through the first 4 eps of Twin Peaks in one night I love how that style is applied to this new season. In fact, with all the long takes and sparse dialogue the eps were going by fast.

knives

#552 Post by knives » Tue May 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Given this is the first long form thing he's made since then I guess it wasn't much of a fall off.

flyonthewall2983

#553 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 am

Were the first two seasons future-proofed? I noticed in the first episode there were shots from the S2 finale that fit perfectly in frame with the rest of the episode.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#554 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 am

They were just cropped. What would the future proofing accomplish - the series has been released on a ton of different platforms including Blu and streaming and has always been in 4:3.

dda1996a

#555 Post by dda1996a » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 am

knives wrote:Given this is the first long form thing he's made since then I guess it wasn't much of a fall off.
The various shorter work he released...

Obo

#556 Post by Obo » Wed May 24, 2017 4:54 am

Just found this forum and joined. Wanted to discuss the above comments on music usage, but might first need to learn use of spoiler boxes...
SpoilerShow
"Take 5" is in an odd time signature (3+2), but beyond that, may relate to the numbers the giant tells Coop to remember, the time on the dashboard when bad Coop flips his car, and the numbers seen on the NYC machine just above the opening through which Coop exits leaving his ruby slippers, I mean shoes, behind.
Last edited by Obo on Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#557 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 am

mfunk9786 wrote:They were just cropped. What would the future proofing accomplish - the series has been released on a ton of different platforms including Blu and streaming and has always been in 4:3.
I understand, but with how it was presented, it didn't necessarily look cropped to me.

Roger Ryan

#558 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed May 24, 2017 9:21 am

carmilla mircalla wrote:I fell off with Lynch after Inland Empire and still cannot handle that film because of his stylistic switch with HD...
In no way is Inland Empire HD; it was shot with a standard definition (480i) DVCam. While I would have preferred for Lynch to return to working with film, he's still getting some lovely images using an Arri Alexa XT HD camera for the new series. I'm also starting to warm up to the almost self-consciously tacky digital effects and CGI he's employing...
SpoilerShow
...like the bizarre painterly mutilated corpse imagery which takes on its own kind of surrealism by not looking realistic.

flyonthewall2983

#559 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:28 am

Wasn't the talk that he was going to go back to film for the show?

cdobbs

#560 Post by cdobbs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 am

Laura Palmer getting pulled out of the red room and the tree attacking Cooper reminded me of HOUSE.

teddyleevin

#561 Post by teddyleevin » Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 am

Absolutely! All she needed was a piano!

The reused footage is interesting. The cropped shot from the original finale where Laura reverse-snaps is cropped such that the snap would clearly place her fingers out of frame. The solution (perhaps?) employed is that the shot cuts to Cooper's reaction on the snap. A startling effect in his own right, but especially for those that are so used to the editing in the original!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#562 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:17 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Wasn't the talk that he was going to go back to film for the show?
You actually posted that here, but the reporting was speculative and incorrect, and quickly corrected
David Lynch wrote:No, no, no. It would be ridiculous. It’s all gonna end up on TV anyway. So many things get lost from celluloid to the final… whatever you’re showing on.

flyonthewall2983

#563 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:15 pm

I obviously didn't follow up on that, so thank you for clearing it up for me.

Roger Ryan

#564 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

As evidenced by the first four episodes, Lynch is digitally manipulating the image enough that starting with a 35mm film source may have ended up compromising his aesthetic approach this time around.

dadaistnun

#565 Post by dadaistnun » Thu May 25, 2017 9:29 am

Having finally caught up with all four parts, I just want to join in the chorus of praise. Lynch has always been a favorite of mine, and I’m a huge fan of the original TP, but until very recently I was feeling apprehensive about the revival. Honestly, I think it may have been the teasers that turned me around, as well as the sudden hunch that the style would likely hew closer to Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire than the original show or even FWWM. This was absolutely the right decision in my view (and may have not even been a decision, per se, as much as Lynch’s natural evolution as an artist).

I’m so grateful that such a tight lid was kept on the actual content prior to airing. It’s absolutely thrilling to be watching this and having no idea where it’s headed. Even on a scene-to-scene basis, it can whip the mood around in a flash, as in Part 3
SpoilerShow
where the first 20 – 30 minutes are by turns unnerving, terrifying, and beautiful, and to have that lead into the hilarious Dougie material. Even there, the juxtaposition of humor and creepiness (“That’s weird…”) is wonderful.

And speaking of hilarious – the Wally Brando bit went over great in our house, as much due to the reactions of Truman, Lucy, and Andy as anything. With one exception for me so far (Chrysta Bell’s FBI agent), the actors have all been aces.

It would be impossible to select one stand-out image thus far, but the Deren-esque shot of Laura Palmer removing her face has got to be up there.

hearthesilence

#566 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am

Was the original show shot on 35mm or 16mm? I haven't seen anything better than the DVD transfers of the old episodes, but it looked grainy enough in that format to suggest 16mm.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#567 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:38 am

35mm. Also, the restoration looks absolutely incredible on Blu-ray and the Gold Box set looked excellent for its time as well - grainy isn't how I'd choose to describe that series.

I mean... is this grainy in a fashion that's indicative of a lower quality film stock? There's a ton of texture going on.

hearthesilence

#568 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 25, 2017 11:41 am

Nice! I guess these were all new transfers for the BD box set? I haven't seen those old episodes since I watched the DVDs on an old CRT TV years ago (maybe even a decade?) but I just recall thinking that this was the best they've ever looked since they were originally seen via an analogue broadcast signal or VHS. I had seen them only on old VHS tapes so I was seeing how it was shot in film for the first time from the grain flying around. It may have been that novelty that made me think grainy.

Cold Bishop

#569 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 pm

One thing I've seen overlooked in the general discussion of the show's weirdness:
SpoilerShow
Is that the Mulholland Dr. garbage monster (or some relation thereof) sharing the lock-up with Mathew Lillard?
Also, for all the talk of Naomi Watts and Laura Dern, Jennifer Jason Leigh as Copperganger's gun moll is another potentially exciting addition?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#570 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 pm

No - although that, along with a comparison of The Arm and the Eraserhead baby, are certainly amusing. It's probably just more indicative of the sorts of things that Lynch finds frightening (along with the fact that he's the artist overseeing these creations over the years) being similar/consistent. I don't think he's trotting out an extended universe of some kind - if you look at both side by side (in either of these cases) they aren't the same.

carmilla mircalla

#571 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:No - although that, along with a comparison of The Arm and the Eraserhead baby, are certainly amusing. It's probably just more indicative of the sorts of things that Lynch finds frightening (along with the fact that he's the artist overseeing these creations over the years) being similar/consistent. I don't think he's trotting out an extended universe of some kind - if you look at both side by side (in either of these cases) they aren't the same.
definitely not the same however what scare me about it was that I couldn't even make out what it was at first even though the camera pan was a steady one. I could make out something white (the eyes) but when my brain registered the rest just a few seconds later it gave me a brief, delayed fright. For me I consider it a delayd jump scare. Certainly in Mulholland Dr. it kind of worked the same way because the vagrant didn't just jump out rather it moved briskly into the frame so your head could register it just slightly before you could actually comprehend it. Quite a technique.

Roger Ryan

#572 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu May 25, 2017 1:26 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:...I don't think he's trotting out an extended universe of some kind...
I agree that Lynch isn't directly using characters or designs from earlier work, but I feel like he must have been aware of some of the allusions he creating to the past catalog. When Dougie put on his realtor dress coat, my first thought was MacLachlan has become the "Yellow Man" from Blue Velvet!

dda1996a

#573 Post by dda1996a » Thu May 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Also BobCooper wearing a snakeskin shirt. Completely forgot about that cell monster, which unlike Mulholland's terrifying monster, I also found pretty hilarious

Cold Bishop

#574 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Then there's Naomi Watts, saddled with another amnesiac with a bag of money.

I doubt there's explicit crossovers, but Lynch's symbols aren't wholly without logic, especially in Twin Peaks, which is a full-on mythos. He may very well be resurrecting symbols and monsters from previous works to fit them in this larger universe.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#575 Post by tenia » Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 pm

While these 4 episodes are quite incredible pieces (episode 3 notably), I found them to drag quite a lot, almost running on fumes. Everything seems to be purposedly slowed down, not so much as a way to be artful or playful, but just to strech what didn't need to be.

The 2-part premiere was fine in this regard, though it didn't advance much already, but by the end of episode 4, I was just hoping Coop would be Coop again so that the show could turn the page and move on to something more thrilling. Because if the next 14 episodes are going to go at this pace, it will be quite over-long episodes because so far, everything seemed stretched 3 times too much. There are notably some dialogues scenes that just aren't very good, but still drag and drag (the Bill Shaker one for instance). Instead, I'm missing all the various soap characters that were filling seasons 1 & 2 and making most of the show going forward. So far, there isn't this momentum in season 3.

On different notes, the sound design is just amazing, though I found the show reliance on industrial sonorities a stepdown compared to what seasons 1 & 1 were doing. More Badalementi melodies for the next episodes would be nice.

The photography isn't that amazing, sadly. I don't really like obvious digital photography, and here, most of the exterior sequences are digital at its most obvious. This bothered me more than some tacky SFX, which seemed at touch with the often campy style of the previous seasons (especially the black smoke and sphere sequence).