Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
rapta

Re: Studio Canal/Kinowelt/Optimum

#1451 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 am

More Reed is always great news. Still have some others from this year to get first though - namely the Roeg reissue, Schlesinger, Loach and Cox!

FrauBlucher

#1452 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 pm

theflirtydozen

#1453 Post by theflirtydozen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Apparently this Almodovar Boxset was released today. Was there any news of this happening? I hadn't heard anything before getting an email from Amazon just now.

Werewolf by Night

#1454 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:33 pm

It was on the DVD Beaver release calendar and noted in the Almodovar thread on this forum back in June.

R0lf

#1455 Post by R0lf » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:56 pm

There is also a big French Almodovar release which has everything except Labyrinth of Passion and with Pepi Luci Bom DVD only (no English subs).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1456 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:45 am

Does anyone have the 40th anniversary blu of The Man Who Fell To Earth? I haven't found any reviews that really offer any detail on the restoration.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1457 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:55 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Does anyone have the 40th anniversary blu of The Man Who Fell To Earth? I haven't found any reviews that really offer any detail on the restoration.
We've discussed a bit about it on blu-ray.com's dedicated thread : http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 48&page=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bottom line is : if you already have a previous release, technically wise, it might sadly not be worth the upgrade.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1458 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 pm

That's a pity but thanks. I was interested primarily because I never got the Criterion blu. That whole discussion was quite helpful tho.

perkizitore

#1459 Post by perkizitore » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:22 am

I wish I knew about this before my Canadian BD shipped! :(

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1460 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Apparently the Third Man limited edition, 4-disc set was truly limited and seems to be going for a pretty petty on Amazon.

May be worth picking up the Roeg set just for re-sale value.

Then again it doesn't look great at Caps-a-holic.

hearthesilence

#1461 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Again, the brand new Studio Canal BD (not the previous crapola BD that Studio Canal put out after Criterion's went out-of-print) is really the one to get, and it's not too expensive either. Would have been nice if they had the two commentary tracks from Criterion release, but those have been ripped and uploaded in mp3 format in various places on the web (YouTube is probably the easiest place to find the Soderbergh and Gilroy one), so it's no big deal.

rapta

#1462 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:32 pm

Drucker wrote:Apparently the Third Man limited edition, 4-disc set was truly limited and seems to be going for a pretty petty on Amazon.

May be worth picking up the Roeg set just for re-sale value.

Then again it doesn't look great at Caps-a-holic.
It's still available via HMV.com, albeit for £29.99, and seems like some people have already jumped on it though since it's already OOS. It's a beautiful set - I think I paid about £20 on release, and it was well worth it for one of the best British films ever made (if not the best).

Had a copy of Optimum's original The Man Who Fell to Earth release but sold it in anticipation for this 4K-restored version. My set arrived damaged though so I've returned it, and am currently deciding whether or not to order another one. It's apparent that the new disc has good and bad points, the bad mainly being the unstable encoding (the restoration itself looking like a lot of other 'controversial' 4K restorations of late which admittedly look far more impressive in-motion).

I reckon if enough people lobby StudioCanal we may get them to at least fix the bitrate problem and run a replacement program - they have done it before with enough complaints, but usually with more serious errors (such as The Fallen Idol, where the image was warped from shot to shot). However, since this is such a collector's item and Bowie is obviously close to everyone's hearts, they may well fold for such a blatant mistake.

hearthesilence

#1463 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Watched The Fallen Idol - looks good, but I think the de-graining might've been occasionally too heavy, as a handful of moments had a video-like look to them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1464 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Man Who Fell to Earth getting an American release in January

rockysds

#1465 Post by rockysds » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Blu-ray of The Proud Valley in January.

dwk

#1467 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:32 pm

If you re putting your faith in a StudioCanal release having a better encode than anyone else, you obviously haven't seen or, at least, read about their 4k remastered Highlander Blu-ray or their 4k remastered The Man Who Fell it Earth blu-ray.

hearthesilence

#1468 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Well, that's a buzzkill....

Big Ben

#1469 Post by Big Ben » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 pm

I've actually seen people say that the old Criterion Blu-Ray of The Man Who Fell to Earth is better than Studio Canal's new 4K Remaster Blu Ray. No joke. You'll have to forgive my lack of technical knowledge but the captures I saw of the latter Blu-Ray had artifact BLOBS in them. BLOBS.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1470 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:00 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1471 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:05 pm

The encode isn't the only problem of the new 4K restoration, but its color timing leads to blown whites and it seemed to have been DNRed too.

Big Ben

#1472 Post by Big Ben » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:26 pm

I was just dropping more buzzkill but you guys double downed and brought pictures and facts! I adore this film and it's a damn shame to see it look like this. Anyone know if they could be pressured to fix it?

hearthesilence

#1473 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:31 pm

If everyone stopped buying their products, that would work. But it's tough getting a mass group of individuals to collectively do something in their best interest.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1474 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Bizarrely, I thought they had turned a corner, as many of their B&W releases have looked fine for years. The Third Man 4k looks pretty good, and Forbidden Games looks good as well.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1475 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

hearthesilence wrote:But it's tough getting a mass group of individuals to collectively do something in their best interest.
That's quite a simplistic take. It's tough to anticipate a brand new 4K restoration from the OCN being worse-looking that an out-of-date IP-sourced HD restoration.

On top of that, the CE comes with the soundtrack and quite a bunch of extras. So yeah, it's not as if such a disappointed was expected, especially, indeed, when the previous movie that got such a treatment was The Third Man, which ended up getting a very good release (technically-wise). Highlander, encode aside, is also quite good looking, as was Ran and many other recent SC movies (I think their Vintage Classics actually is quite a success when it comes to the restorations).