It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 am 

I watched the new restoration (and a good one). Which was my very first viewing of this brilliant film. As Zedz posted, the tension of the inmates digging and moving around the underbelly of the prison leading to the sewer system was as palpable as one can experience watching a film. The film was tight which helped keep the tension going throughout. I did recall Bresson's A Man Escaped, but also the theft scene from Rififi was also rolling around my head. This is crying out for a return to Criterion.

Jean Keraudy (non actor) was terrific as Roland Darban. It left me curious as to how he eventually got out, especially after the attempted jail break.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I have to say I was disappointed that they did not get to escape. Does that make me a bad person? :)

zedz wrote:
(when will modern filmmakers realise that you can often create more tension by not cutting away?)
Your post is from 2005, it's safe to say lesson not learned.

Svevan wrote:
Anyone else think this film is a coded homo fuckfest? Muscly dudes, two of whom are obviously in love, with the newbie adjusting to the erotic friendship surrounding him. I got the distinct impression that the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
guy who betrays them at the end committed the double sin of rejecting his gay brothers on top of sabotaging their plan.

Not to mention all the metaphorical pounding, pounding, pounding. It's not just me, is it?
No, it's definitely all you.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:51 am 

Svevan wrote:
coded homo fuckfest

If we ever have a big forum meetup and need to name it something, this is the leader in the clubhouse for me