Zoology

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Zoology

#1 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 am

A TAIL OF PERSONAL GROWTH

Writer-director Ivan I. Tverdovsky’s prize-winning sophomore feature (Special Prize of the Jury at Karlovy Vary Film Festival, Best Picture at Fantastic Fest) deftly mixes the deadpan humour of Aki Kaurismäki with a poignant examination of social issues including loneliness and aging.

Natasha is a middle-aged admin employee at a zoo where her female co-workers take pleasure in making fun of her. She lives with her God-fearing mother and leads a dull existence without prospects, until one day she grows a tail. Medical examinations follow where she meets Peter, a young radiologist and her dreary life is turned upside down.

Described as “Kafka meets Cronenberg” (Hollywood Reporter) Tverdovsky’s film is a beautifully photographed portrait of Eastern Europe that recalls the recent New Romanian Cinema and features a brave and brilliant central performance from Natalya Pavlenkova.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
High Definition 1080p Presentation
Optional English Subtitles
5.1 DTS-HD MA surround sound
Trailer
More to be announced!

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Michael Brooke

TMDaines

Re: Zoology

#2 Post by TMDaines » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm

So is she getting some use of her tail in the bath there?

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Now I can have that Girls In Baths With Tails double feature.

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Sun May 03, 2020 7:59 pm

I can finally answer TMDaines' query in the affirmative.

The film's wacky premise is given a generally dour realist treatment, and that deliberate mismatch works in the its favour. The mood remains quizzical rather than comic or horrific, and I was let down by several narrative decisions along the way. The heroine’s emotional transformation seems to come and go at various times, and I don’t get why she relapses into crippling passivity at her workplace at a point where she has nothing to lose by standing up for herself. The resolution of Natasha and Petr’s relationship is something I could see coming a mile off, but its delivery is a bit pat and flat. I just assumed there would be more to it. And the final act of the film coming immediately after Natasha’s don’t-give-a-shit ‘rampage’ doesn’t make a lot of sense. Whatever door she hopes to close, this is coming well after the livestock have all bolted. It feels more like the director wanted to end on a moment of violent ambiguity and this was all he could come up with.

Hardly a perfect film, but there’s enough going on here to keep me on the lookout for Tverdovsky’s other films.

TMDaines

#5 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 15, 2020 4:51 am

#questionsyouforgotyouasked