It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 pm 

Morbii wrote:
Why does IAMMMMW need another release?

Because nothing says dad joke better than repeating yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 pm 

justeleblanc wrote:
Not sure how reliable this is, but Blu-ray.com is listing the following titles as pre-orders:

The Lure
Vampyr
Fire Walk With Me
Barry Lyndon
Personal Shopper
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Phantom pages up for at least of these.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm 

Very excited to see Barry Lyndon. Saw the restoration with a live orchestra a few months ago, so I've seen a 35mm print, the blu-ray, and that restoration all in the last two years, and honestly they were all pretty close to each other in quality, and I certainly don't recall any major differences in color timing. Of course getting it in the right aspect ratio on home video will be worth it alone.

Also, it opened with a black and white Warners logo, not the 1970s Warner logo.

If Criterion are releasing the restoration of Barry Lyndon, what are the chances they release that long-overdue restoration of A Clockwork Orange?

Edit: re-looking at the caps on caps-a-holic, I would say the restoration does a better job of re-producing the intended "softness" in a few shots in BL.

Last edited by Drucker on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:14 pm 

I still think 2001 is on their docket as well. It was a laser disc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm 

I'm still patiently awaiting Criterion to use their WB resources on Lolita (which was also a laserdisc and a much better film that Lyndon or 2001 and far more neglected)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm 

It really shouldn't surprise anyone if they got all the WB Kubricks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Regardless of my own thoughts on the director, it'd be a smart licensing move for them to grab all of the ones WB will relinquish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:
I still think 2001 is on their docket as well. It was a laser disc.

I'm less sure, now that WB has been releasing a lot of catalog titles on 4K as of late. This would be ideal for such a release next year as it's the 50th anniversary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm 

Now that Disney's onboard, surely it's a matter of time until we see the boutique labels at least dipping their toes into UHD?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 pm 

Spine 900 will be the next new title next month

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm 

So what will be #900? Was certain Barry would get it today...my favorite Kubrick.

Going to have to disagree with the poster who thinks Lolita is a superior film. It might be the best novel of the 20th century, but it's not entirely successful as a movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm 

JohnShade wrote:
So what will be #900? Was certain Barry would get it today...my favorite Kubrick.

Well, it's been about three years since The Grand Budapest Hotel was in theaters, so it's about due for a Criterion release.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 pm 

The Tree of Life is due as well

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 pm 

#900 could be anything. I just get the impression it's not a thing Criterion actively plans out so much as when determining final schedules they just pick whatever the "biggest" release is over a two-month period and arbitrarily assign it. So it could be Grand Budapest Hotel (but as we've not heard anything and Anderson's surely very busy, it probably isn't), it could be the Apartment or the Princess Bride, it could be Tree of Life, it could be the Breakfast Club. Basically any of the bigger titles that could be coming anytime soon.

Seems likely they'd anchor the October Criterion sale to the week that Barry Lyndon and Twin Peaks release...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm 

Ribs wrote:
#900 could be...the Breakfast Club.

Talk about rubbing salt into the wound...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm 

Ribs wrote:
#900 could be anything. I just get the impression it's not a thing Criterion actively plans out so much as when determining final schedules they just pick whatever the "biggest" release is over a two-month period and arbitrarily assign it.
That'd mean the special edition retread of Fantastic Mr. Fox was a bigger release than the Blu-ray debut of Persona. The only pattern to the big milestone numbers I can discern is that two of them have gone to Wes Anderson, and surely it was an intentional gesture to make Citizen Kane and La Grande Illusion #1.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

jedgeco wrote:
Morbii wrote:
Why does IAMMMMW need another release? End of print run?

Re-issue as a non-dual format edition?

If they release as a standalone Blu-ray release in one of those nice 2 disc Scanavo cases as opposed to that abysmal packaging it has now, I may finally break down and get it despite all the signs telling me not to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:53 pm 

IAMMMMW is being released in the UK as blu-ray only, so I assume this change probably coincides with that + Dual Formats have been slowly dropping to separate editions.
====================================
So here's your speculation round-up:

The Lure - Janus tour (and all of the promotion that goes along with that)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - April Newsletter clue + was on Itunes from Criterion / Janus' website. Despite the grumbling, Janus now owns the rights - they weren't going to pass on it.

Personal Shopper - Had no rumors or info on this one. I'm sure many have guessed it was coming, but we didn't have anything definitive.

Barry Lyndon - A Surprise! No rumors or anything for this one - just a lot of wishful hopes.

Vampyr - Typical surprise upgrade. Although back when they got rid of the large book - they mistakenly put (Blu-ray edition only) - thus we all got our hopes up, but now it finally comes out and looks like the book is back!
================================
Interesting month. Barry Lyndon is more of a November title. They could have easily done an all horror month - but usually we're lucky to even get 2 horror-y themed movies (wasn't last year only the Del Toro set / Pan?) - so at least we get three here. Am disappointed by the lack of Night of the Living Dead (we'll probably get a Janus tour soon at least) - but I kind of wonder if Romero's death didn't cause them to push it back - like they didn't want to be all "hey look, Romero died, but look what we have!" (though any reason seems to be a reason for Criterion to put something off for another month :P ). Somewhat odd to have two modern films released within a month. Also three surprises this month (that we didn't know were coming).

Of all the announcements this month, I think the addition of Filming Othello is the most exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 pm 

Minkin wrote:
Barry Lyndon - A Surprise! No rumors or anything for this one - just a lot of wishful hopes.
Perhaps the candles from the Wacky Drawing were for this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:
Minkin wrote:
Perhaps the candles from the Wacky Drawing were for this.
Yeah, but then why have 16 Candles? + we're getting Breakfast Club! We can just settle for the almighty double clue :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:10 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Ribs wrote:
#900 could be anything. I just get the impression it's not a thing Criterion actively plans out so much as when determining final schedules they just pick whatever the "biggest" release is over a two-month period and arbitrarily assign it.
That'd mean the special edition retread of Fantastic Mr. Fox was a bigger release than the Blu-ray debut of Persona. The only pattern to the big milestone numbers I can discern is that two of them have gone to Wes Anderson, and surely it was an intentional gesture to make Citizen Kane and La Grande Illusion #1.

Yes, that's right, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Fantastic Mr. Fox sold way more copies than Persona and was as such a bigger release for Criterion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 pm 

I don't know what makes you so completely certain about Criterion's sales figures in a case like this one or, more to the point, that they even tend to give such an ultimately unimportant "honor" based on the projected number of units sold (wasn't The Honeymoon Killers one of the past round-number spines?), but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that there are way more interesting things on the forum to discuss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 pm 

I am patiently awaiting:
-Gun Crazy
-Lost Highway
-Rocco and His Brothers
-Lady Eve upgrade
-La vie d'Adele special edition (though this one is admittedly a long shot)
-Le samourai upgrade
-True Lies (considering that this does't even have a standard blu ray release, licensing it out to CC is the least that Fox can do)

And Grand Budapest will be #900. It seems to me that Criterion does pay attention to spine numbers; remember how Devil's Backbone was #666? Not to mention Life Aquatic and Mr. Fox have #300 and #700, respectively. Personally IDGAF about them but I know some people are anal about spine numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 am 

I have seen True Lies probably a dozen times (mostly as a child), and I honestly had no idea, until I looked it up just now, that James Cameron directed it. This really does explain a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 am 

Robespierre wrote:
And Grand Budapest will be #900. It seems to me that Criterion does pay attention to spine numbers; remember how Devil's Backbone was #666? Not to mention Life Aquatic and Mr. Fox have #300 and #700, respectively. Personally IDGAF about them but I know some people are anal about spine numbers.

+ STALKER was 888 (infinity).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next