The Mystery of the Phantom Web Pages

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
mteller

Re: The Mystery of the Phantom Web Pages

#1051 Post by mteller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Do you really think there are "hordes of people" who love a 50-year-old horror movie that have "never heard of the Criterion Collection"? I think the Venn diagram of "people who would buy Night of the Living Dead" and "people who have never heard of Criterion" contains very little overlap.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1052 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm actually quite sure these 2 things are indeed almost not correlated at all and that many people know and like Night of the Living Dead while having pretty much no clue what Criterion is or does.
Notably because Criterion remains a relatively niche label to begin with.

knives

#1053 Post by knives » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Night of the Living Dead is certainly a bigger deal than their own reputation due in no small part to how rabid horror fans of all ages are.

Dead or Deader

#1054 Post by Dead or Deader » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:35 pm

The upcoming John Hughes films definitely have a greater percentage of potential buyers who loved the work but have never heard of Criterion Collection before the releases. At least a certain kind of horror fan will hear about these speciality labels, which includes Criterion, who have released some films that fit into the genre
Last edited by Dead or Deader on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malickite

#1055 Post by Malickite » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 am

On a side note, it makes sense that NOTLD will be in this month's announcements. It's a perfect October title.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#1056 Post by Omensetter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:31 am

Alongside The Lure, Night of the Living Dead, and Fire Walk with Me, this year's October slate definitely is primed to be its most horror-centric ever, with its main competition probably being 2015's The Brood, Kwaidan, and Mulholland Drive. Night of the Living Dead probably pushes 2017 over the edge in that contest (assuming they release those three in October---NotLD and FWwM seem like good high-profile October sale starters).

eastguy

#1057 Post by eastguy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:14 pm

And maybe if the recent OOP upgrade trend continues, we get The Silence of the Lambs as well.

johnnysnatchclub7

#1058 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 pm

They've said they won't revisit LAMBS because they don't know how they would improve upon the other edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1059 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:39 pm

They'll go the route with their Warner acquisitions: one new twenty minute interview!!!

colinr0380

#1060 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Do the newer editions of Silence of the Lambs retain the original theatrical font for the various location titles appearing in typewriter text on the screen (such as the opening "Woods near Quantico, Va" one), or are they still player generated? I remember the first DVD that MGM put out in the UK replaced those titles with just the standard player generated removable subtitles (though perhaps that was just MGM's standard practice for Region 2 discs, where they'd swap out location titles for ones in a particular European language. I remember Ronin having the same issue too, for example).

I could see the case both for and against The Silence of the Lambs. For: you get the commentary back into circulation again, which is a fantastic listen in its own right but would also be a nice way to pay respects to Jonathan Demme. The against is that beyond the commentary this was one of Criterion's really stacked releases, but stacked in the form of page upon page of text screens to scroll through to read the contents of the FBI crime classification manual and the interviews with notorious serial killers. If there's one thing Criterion has been sure to drop from Blu-ray upgrades of their titles it is material previously presented in text form: In The Mood For Love lost its numerous screens of text, and the reissue of Carnival of Souls went as far as to have the essay presented in the form of text screens on the first DVD edition turned into an audio piece in which Dana Polan read the essay instead!

So aside from the commentary and deleted scenes any Criterion edition of Silence of the Lambs might have to be re-done entirely to at least update that text screen aspect, or more likely remove and replace it with something else (the out of print first edition from way back in 1998 also was before Criterion routinely subtitled its English language releases for the hard of hearing. So they'd need to create a subtitle track from scratch too). But the film is famous enough that it could override any of those concerns.

Luke M

#1061 Post by Luke M » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Dead or Deader wrote:The upcoming John Hughes films probably have greater percentage of buyers who loved the work but have never heard of Criterion Collection before the releases. At least a certain kind of horror fan will hear about these speciality labels, which includes Criterion, who have released some films that fit into the genre
I agree with this view. I used to browse horror message boards back when Anchor Bay was the king of horror, and people were definitely aware of Criterion.

The Breakfast Club is more like this decade's Armageddon.

Morbii

#1062 Post by Morbii » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:10 am

Luke M wrote:
Dead or Deader wrote:back when Anchor Bay was the king of horror
Ahhhh, the good ole days. Almost brings a tear to my eyes. I remember going to Fry's Electronics and picking various Anchor Bay releases up. There was a drought for a while when they all started going OOP and whatnot, but it's possibly better than ever now with the likes of Arrow, Synapse, Blue Underground, and a number of other horror boutique labels!

--

I, too, would love to see the entire dead trilogy. I'll be happy with NotLD, but ecstatic for the whole shebang. Hell, even just Dawn I'd be ecstatic for.

movielocke

#1063 Post by movielocke » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah I'd say horror fans tend to have watched a little of everything, inclusive of furrin' horror films. John Hughes fans probably not so much. I'm much more excited about breakfast club though than 16 candles as the latter is pretty severely appalling ala breakfast at tiffanys

Big Ben

#1064 Post by Big Ben » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:45 pm

movielocke wrote:....16 candles as the latter is pretty severely appalling ala breakfast at tiffanys
Sixteen Candles has aged badly. Having an Asian character introduced by a gong everytime he appears on screen is awful enough but the date rape shit is something else.

colinr0380

#1065 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm

The big question is whether Criterion draws the Molly Ringwald fans in with an innocuous John Hughes film before unleashing Godard's King Lear, or vice versa!

Ribs

#1066 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm

johnnysnatchclub7 wrote:They've said they won't revisit LAMBS because they don't know how they would improve upon the other edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, don't mean to respond to a discussion that's past, but they said that literally half a decade ago, and MGM has prepared a new 4K transfer of the film, which *without* any new additional features would easily be enough for Criterion to reconsider.

(Also Kino said they were outbid, and it seems unlikely to be Arrow)

DFR

#1067 Post by DFR » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Omensetter wrote:Alongside The Lure, Night of the Living Dead, and Fire Walk with Me, this year's October slate definitely is primed to be its most horror-centric ever
Agreed, and I would imagine that Personal Shopper will probably be hitting in October as well.

chrisandy

#1068 Post by chrisandy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 pm

A bunch now up - including some for Fire Walk With Me. Can't figure this one out though, thought it might be for The Lure:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Jan Harlan too:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and Ryan O'Neal:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McNulty

#1069 Post by McNulty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Barry Lyndon

honnorcawkins

#1070 Post by honnorcawkins » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:06 pm

chrisandy wrote:A bunch now up - including some for Fire Walk With Me. Can't figure this one out though, thought it might be for The Lure:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Jan Harlan too:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and Ryan O'Neal:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the only person that came up when I searched for Joanna Macha on IMDb http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1293533/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Their most notable credit is for The Innocents.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1071 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Wow, Criterion is finally releasing Love Story!

As far as I know, the production designer didn't work on The Lure. I would say it might be for The Innocents, but that was put out on a Blu-Ray by a distributor that I had never before heard of.

EDIT: Macha did indeed work on The Lure.
Last edited by Never Cursed on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrauBlucher

#1072 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Maybe the intern screwed up.

carmilla mircalla

#1073 Post by carmilla mircalla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 pm

When people constantly reference the "intern" is there some truth to that? what proof is there that an intern is in charge of posting the new releases for each month?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1074 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Joanna Macha is credited for The Lure, just not on IMDb.

FrauBlucher

#1075 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:15 pm

carmilla mircalla wrote:When people constantly reference the "intern" is there some truth to that? what proof is there that an intern is in charge of posting the new releases for each month?
Haha