Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Bumstead

Re: Shout! Factory / Scream Factory

#951 Post by Bumstead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I asked Shout Factory about THE DUELLISTS. They confirmed license has expired and no further BD plans exist. Which is a shame because scalpers are giving me a tough time on eBay! Far as I know, this hasn't yet been released in the UK. Anyone know who would have the rights to this? Arrow? May be better to simply wait. Thank you.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#952 Post by FigrinDan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Scream Factory’s SHOCKTOBER sale has started.

hearthesilence

Re: Shout! Factory

#953 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Totally missed this, but Jane Campion's adaptation of The Portrait of a Lady is coming to Blu-Ray, courtesy of Shout! Factory. Robert A. Harris has already reviewed it:

"It's a decent looking conversion from film to Blu-ray, but understand that as typical Universal product, what you're going to be getting is a bit older transfer, that might have been fine, but appears to have been needlessly sharpened a bit. Nothing terrible. Just not what it might have been, for a bit of less work...I would have loved to see a newer transfer, but this will suffice."
Finally picked up a copy (only $10 shipped off of eBay). This remains a frustrating film - so promising on paper but it never seems to come together. It’s brilliant in spots and so stiff elsewhere. Skimming through the bonus documentary (which has a lot of on-set footage) they don’t seem to have a comfortable grasp of what they’re doing. Were they lost with this material? Overwhelmed?

ianthemovie

#954 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:23 pm

"Frustrating" is exactly the word for The Portrait of a Lady, a deeply flawed adaptation of an absolutely brilliant novel. In spite of a committed director and an extremely talented team of actors it never seems to cohere. I wonder whether it would have worked better with a different cast. I find Malkovich extremely pretentious and grating as Osmond (his character is supposed to be loathsome, but also charming) and Kidman never really seems to find her footing as Isabel. That said I do love the silent film sequence and the opening credits with the voiceovers of the women being interviewed about love and romance, because it's such an unexpected way to begin a literary costume drama.

That behind the scenes footage (which was on the previous DVD edition) is fascinating and almost painful to watch at times. The production looks like it was very troubled.

hearthesilence

#955 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Spot on, I was surprised they even used some of that footage - for those who haven't seen it, it's clearly meant to be a long promotional piece commissioned by the studio. Again, I only skimmed it, but either they chose the most "interesting" moments (i.e. the petty conflicts, when they had to struggle, etc.) or that was pretty much the whole production in a nutshell.

ianthemovie

#956 Post by ianthemovie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

It's been a while since I've seen that behind-the-scenes footage but my memory of it is the same, that it's very far from your typical surfacey electronic-press-kit fluff. I seem to recall extended fly-on-the-wall takes of Campion blocking scenes with Malkovich and Kidman, and others showing her working with Shelley Winters. Everyone seemed very confused and short-tempered, especially Winters.

dwk

#957 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Final specs for Silent Night Deadly Night.
***SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT Update***

Halloween is almost upon us but we're also focused on Christmas and our upcoming release of the 1984 slay-a-thon cult classic of SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT. Today we present the final breakdown of our discs as well as giving an update regarding the unrated version. Title streets nationally on Dec 5th but if you order it from our site you'll receive it two weeks early.

DISC ONE:
• Theatrical Version of the Film : NEW 4K Scan of the original camera negative.
• R-Rated Theatrical Trailer & VHS Trailer
• TV Spots
• Radio Spot

DISC TWO:
• Extended Unrated Version of the Film: NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative with standard definition inserts*
• NEW Slay Bells Ring: The Story Of Silent Night, Deadly Night – Featuring Interviews With Writer Michael Hickey, Co-Executive Producers Scott J. Schneid And Dennis Whitehead, Editor/Second Unit Director Michael Spence, Composer Perry Botkin, And Actor Robert Brian Wilson
• NEW Oh Deer! – An Interview With Linnea Quigley
• NEW Christmas In July – Silent Night, Deadly Night Locations – Then And Now
• NEW Audio Commentary With Actor Robert Brian Wilson And Co-Executive Producer Scott J. Schneid
• Audio Commentary By Michael Hickey, Perry Boykin, Scott J. Schneid, and Michael Spence
• Audio Interview With Director Charles E. Sellier, Jr. from Deadpit Radio (Extended Version)
• Santa’s Stocking Of Outrage
• Poster And Still Gallery

*Regarding the Extended Version: For our new transfer, Sony Studios scanned the original camera negative at Technicolor in 4K. Unfortunately though we learned during our process that this original element was cut and did not contain the unrated footage we were hoping to find. Sony searched their vault for the footage (and we also looked aggressively into other alternatives to find it) but sadly it was not saved and remains missing.

The only solution for presenting the extended cut of the film was to incorporate the same unrated video footage that has been present on prior home entertainment DVD and Blu-ray releases. The transition of scenes between the theatrical and unrated versions will still be noticeable but we have tried to minimize the shifts in picture quality by restoring the unrated footage to try to match the color and clarity to our new transfer as best we could.

ianthemovie

#958 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Not sure where to post this, but does anybody know who has the rights to Let's Scare Jessica to Death? It's a criminally underrated horror film and it seems like it would be ripe for release by a boutique label like Scream Factory.

StevenJ0001

#959 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm

ianthemovie wrote:Not sure where to post this, but does anybody know who has the rights to Let's Scare Jessica to Death? It's a criminally underrated horror film and it seems like it would be ripe for release by a boutique label like Scream Factory.
Wow, I’d forgotten about this one! I watched it as a kid and it seriously freaked me out! In fact I think I stopped watching halfway through because I was too unsettled to continue. Would love to see it again.

Adam X

#960 Post by Adam X » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Well, Paramount and then Warner Archive released the US DVD, though the latter seems to be OOP now too. Seems likely a WAC upgrade is the most we can hope for, which is unfortunate. I finally saw this recently, and really enjoyed it. You never know quite how reliable the titular character's perspective is. The Projection Booth episode has some good discussion of the film, & unlike the DVD actually has interviews with the writer and director.

dwk

#961 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

It is Paramount. The Warner Archive MOD DVD was released during the couple of years that Warner was distributing Paramount's catalog, but that deal expired awhile back.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#962 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:07 am

Has anyone shopped during the current Halloween flash sale? The items that just won't add to the cart are the sold out ones, right?

dwk

#963 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Scream Factory has announced 4 February releases

GAMES (1967) --- 2/13
THE NIGHT WALKER --- 2/20
GATE II (1990) --- 2/20
COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970) --- 2/27

AfterTheRain

#964 Post by AfterTheRain » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Make it 5: the Collector's Edition of Drag Me to Hell comes out on February 13th.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#965 Post by FigrinDan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Scream Factory's special Halloween announcement.
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, coming next March.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#966 Post by FigrinDan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:58 pm

For those awaiting the Shout Select release of The Plague Dogs, it will be released on February 13th and is now available for pre-order on their website. However, it appears to be a bare bones release with only one cut of the film (runtime = 85 minutes). This appears to be the shorter US cut, as IMDB lists the runtime as 103 minutes.

Costa

#967 Post by Costa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 am

It's been confirmed unfortunately that it's the cut version:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... stcount=52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, no interest from me here now.
I hope Arrow , Eureka or any other European label comes to the rescue!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#969 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 pm

The Jeff Goldblum "interview" on Into the Night is one of the most ridiculous extras I've ever seen-- it needs a flowchart

hearthesilence

#970 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Just to follow up on a post earlier in this thread (maybe a split’s in order?), I stumbled upon the rare insightful Amazon review that makes a strong case of what went wrong with Campion’s film. From Steven Reynolds in 2003:

More like an appropriation than an adaptation.

This adaptation of Henry James' technically innovative but infamously dense novel is interesting primarily because director Jane Campion seems to have entirely missed the point. She's mistaken Isabel Archer for a "romance addict" rather than the naive idealist James created. Perhaps aiming for wider appeal, she tries to turn this from the portrait of a unique female personality into a more general exploration of "women in love". Such universalizing might have worked if she and screenwriter Laura Jones had also had the wherewithal to change the story to suit their modified heroine. But having ditched the most critical aspect of the novel, they then remain reasonably faithful to its flow of events, with Isabel choosing an ugly, "sterile dilettante" (Malkovich) over a handsome lover and a rich English lord (Mortensen and Grant respectively) both of whom are infatuated with her. For Isabel the "naive idealist", such a choice is perfectly understandable. For Isabel the "romance addict", and women in general, such a choice beggars belief. So this not only fails as an adaptation, it fails as a convincing narrative in its own right.

hearthesilence

#971 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Bonus features announced for their edition of Joe Dante's Matinee:

- NEW "Master of the Matinee" – interview with director Joe Dante
- NEW "The Leading Lady" – an interview with Cathy Moriarty
- NEW "MANTastic!" The Making of a Mant
- NEW "Out of the Bunker" – an interview with actress Lisa Jakub
- NEW "Making a Monster Theatre" – an interview with production designer Steven Legler
- NEW "The Monster Mix" - an interview with editor Marshall Harvey
- NEW "Lights! Camera! Reunion!" – an interview with director of photography John Hora
- "Paranoia in Ant Vision" – Joe Dante discusses the making of the film
- MANT! – the full length version of the film with introduction by Joe Dante
- Vintage Making of Featurette
- Behind the Scenes footage courtesy of Joe Dante
- Deleted and extended scenes sourced from Joe Dante’s Workprint
- Still Galleries
- Theatrical Trailer

Special Offer: Order from ShoutFactory.com and get a FREE 18" X 24" ROLLED POSTER featuring our brand new artwork, available while supplies last! Also get it shipped TWO WEEKS EARLY!

Product Note: Please note that the national street date has moved to January 9, 2018 - orders from ShoutFactory.com will still ship two weeks earlier than that date.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#972 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Jesus, that slaughters the Arrow edition. I never could figure out why they didn't bother talking to Jakub in the first place, she's been vocal in the last couple years

dwk

#973 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:16 am

Update on The Plague Dogs
We have heard your concerns loud and clear! We have located director Martin Rosen and are working together in hopes of finding film elements for the extended cut of the film.

The process will take a little bit of time so we are moving the release date of the Blu-ray to TBD while we work on this. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned!”

dwk

#974 Post by dwk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 pm

March 6th - Fangs of the Living Dead

March 13th - The Ambulance

March 20th - Rockula

Big Ben

#975 Post by Big Ben » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

"He's a vampire who hasn't scored in four hundred years."

My temptation to hate watch Rockula is overwhelming. Has anyone seen it?