Synapse: Dario Argento Limited Editions

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: Synapse: Dario Argento Limited Editions

#151 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:45 pm

I haven't seen the Cult Films disc, but if the trailer that opens their new Battle of Algiers disc is representative of the transfer itself (and since it's clearly newly edited, I see no reason why it shouldn't be), I have absolutely no regrets about opting for the Synapse. The caps-a-holic comparison seems to be completely accurate.

Cronenfly

#152 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:50 pm

caps-a-holic hasn’t added the Cult Films disc yet, have they? It’s a little frustrating that no site has done a direct comparison yet.

MichaelB

#153 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Yes, you're right - Caps-a-holic surveys another disc featuring the same restoration as used in the CultFilms release. But on the evidence of the trailer on an actual CultFilms disc, I'd be surprised if it looked substantially different: the characteristics being highlighted would appear to be the same.

Put it like this: it definitely doesn't look like the Synapse. And as the Synapse most closely matches my memories of 35mm screenings, that's not an advantage for me. On the other hand, there's no question that the CultFilms release will be substantially superior to the botched earlier Blu-ray "restoration" from 2010 or thereabouts, and it is vastly cheaper.

Cronenfly

#154 Post by Cronenfly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks Michael, I feel the Synapse is the one to get but I’m just a bit reluctant given the price tag.

midnitedave

#155 Post by midnitedave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Thanks Michael, I feel the Synapse is the one to get but I’m just a bit reluctant given the price tag.
Synapse is good for reissuing their steel boxes as standard (cheaper) versions later on (like they've done with Tenebrae, Phenomena, Popcorn, etc.), so you can always hold off until they do so with Suspiria. Whichever the case, Synapse is hands-down version to get.

black&huge

#156 Post by black&huge » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm

does the synapse Tenebre standard release retain the special features from the LE? is it just missing the booklet and the steelbook? I want to own it so bad I don't care to own the steelbook at this point but is the booklet worth having?

jazzo

#157 Post by jazzo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Missing only the booklet, steelbook and soundtrack. All other extras are there.

Morbii

#158 Post by Morbii » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm

The transfer on Tenebre was nothing short of incredible, too. I was stunned at how good it was, in fact. So, even if the extras weren't there, I'd personally recommend it.

Cronenfly

#159 Post by Cronenfly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 am

Amazon.ca has copies of Suspiria in stock for $76.53, and I almost bought it before deciding I should just wait for the inevitable standard release instead of paying $85+ after tax for a single movie (which is not so far off what Synapse or Diabolik were charging, after shipping, conversion, and potential import fees).

black&huge

#160 Post by black&huge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 am

In that case I will just go ahead and snag the standard synapse Tenebrae blu.

Also I just wanted to say I had no problem shelling out close to 60 shipped (from Diabolik) for Suspiria. I stopped collecting movies a while ago and recently just got a blu-ray player for the first time (I'm a late bloomer) and so I made it my very first blu purchase. Felt like a necessary splurge.

ianthemovie

#161 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:15 am

I'm glad I snapped this up on Diabolik back in December. Assuming that a standard release is coming later this year I'll probably end up getting that instead (because I hate steelbooks) and will sell this one, hopefully for a small profit. In the event that a standard release never comes, though, I wanted to make sure to own this in some form.

dwk

#162 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Pre-orders are up for the standard releases, both due out on March 13th:
Single disc ($39.95 MSRP)
2-disc set($43.95 MSRP)
Last edited by dwk on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#163 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I stopped reading the Blu-Ray forums, but man, I bet the pages of apoplectic bitching are amazing right now

Werewolf by Night

#164 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 pm

I don’t collect or even really care much about steelbooks, but I have absolutely no regrets about having forked over $50 for the Suspiria steelbook. I’ve been waiting years for the release, it’s a fantastic-looking restoration, and I want to reward such restoration work.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#165 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 am

domino harvey wrote:I stopped reading the Blu-Ray forums, but man, I bet the pages of apoplectic bitching are amazing right now
In a way, while I can certainly imagine how hyperbolic they're going right now, I understand how Synapse keeping saying "we have no plans for a standard release" while they always end up doing one can becore tiring. Especially since for this one, the re-releases are only a few months after the LE (and not a whole year) and that even the disc of extras can be retained.
On top of that, having the re-releases pre-orderable Day One from Amazon probably makes them easier to buy than keeping them basically exclusive to Synapse and DVD Diabolik.

But hey : I chose to get the steelbook, so that's my choice and don't regret it.

This being written, it's not as if these re-releases weren't expected, especially considering how expensive this restoration must have been for Synapse.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#166 Post by FigrinDan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 am

No one should not have expected a standard edition released by Synapse-Films. That's their MO. To me, their "we have no plans for a standard release" response always sounded like it should have ended with "until we do."
I don't blame Synapse for releasing these so soon after the Limited Edition. 6000 copies of Suspiria's limited edition sold faster than any of their previous 3000 copy limited releases. And releasing a standard edition and a special edition, that's just genius.
(I also don't regret buying the limited edition.)

richard_t

#167 Post by richard_t » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:49 am

Not only do I not regret buying the limited edition, I paid over £70 for it here in the UK and threw the steelbook and the rest of the packaging in the bin since I've long since run out of space to store disks in their boxes (they all go straight in binders).

It's a gorgeous release and worth every single penny.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#168 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:51 am

FigrinDan wrote:No one should not have expected a standard edition released by Synapse-Films. That's their MO. To me, their "we have no plans for a standard release" response always sounded like it should have ended with "until we do."
I know, but I understand how some can still trust the label when they say something and be disappointed to realise that it should have been read into in a different way. It doesn't look as a fully transparent way of communicating, even if yes, it's Synapse's MO.
I understand Synapse too, though : it's working for them, so why bother ? But I understand how this can be perceived as manipulative somehow, especially for a release which is, by all standards, quite expensive.

I chose not to wait and paid the price of my eagerness, but when I read richard_t saying it's "worth every single penny", well, the same content is now almost half the price it was a month ago.

But hey, that's how the market is right now and don't have myself an issue with it, but I understand how some can wish for Synapse to be more straight-forward.

MichaelB

#169 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm

They were obviously going to do a standard release based on precedent, and good luck to them. I bought the limited edition because I specifically wanted to invest in their restoration, so I’m not fussed about the price at all.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#170 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Also, the booklet, soundtrack CD, and packaging are exclusive to the limited edition, right?

"No plans" should always be interpreted as "we'll see how the limited edition sells before making a decision one way or the other."

Lost Highway

#171 Post by Lost Highway » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 am

I would have bought the cheaper edition, but I also have no regrets over buying this one after the long wait. The wait was worth it and this looks and sounds spectacular. After so many botched releases, finally the real thing. It only took me buying three previous BD releases of Suspiria to get there with the fourth. There are a lot of films which aren’t designed to be an audio visual experience the way Suspiria is, so the presentation has to be perfect.