Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
GetHarryPalmer

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1176 Post by GetHarryPalmer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:27 pm

crickets

1st page: TRILOGY OF TERROR is ABC, not Touchstone/Hollywood.

vidussoni

#1177 Post by vidussoni » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 am

Paul Verhoeven's SPETTERS is coming soon.
Spetters was licensed from MGM - last title from this current deal. PV's other early foreign films are with another company.

Calvin

#1178 Post by Calvin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm

A new 4K restoration of Hitchcock's Under Capricorn is on its way, licensed from CBS. It'll be great to finally see Jack Cardiff's photography as intended and not in a subpar public domain transfer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1179 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Image's release was not public domain, and it in fact looked quite good

Shrew
The Untamed One

#1180 Post by Shrew » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

The Image DVD looked very similar to a 35mm print I saw, but the bigger problem isn't resolution but color. Granted, part of the issue may be the film's palette (which seems to run much more pastel than Cardiff's films for the Archers) and I can't know for sure what the film looked like on release, but the colors in the print and DVD looked very faded, with a slight pink/brown pallor. I hope some kind of photochemical restoration was done on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a cleaned-up, higher resolution scan of a faded old print.

Calvin

#1181 Post by Calvin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Kino says that the "BFI handled the 4K scans of the original negatives and [they're] doing additional color corrections and DRS."

Shrew
The Untamed One

#1182 Post by Shrew » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 pm

That's more heartening. It still probably won't be on the level of the Film Foundation restorations of the Archer films (the Under Capricorn DVD looks not dissimilar to Criterion's original edition of the Red Shoes), but almost anything should be a big improvement.

FrauBlucher

#1183 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 am

Anyone awaiting The Lion in Winter blu will be disappointed according to Robert Harris...
Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray, with a master courtesy of MGM is one of those head-shakers.

All of the original elements survive, but what we've been allowed (via no fault of KL's) is an (apparently) older transfer derived from either a poorly produced IP, or dupe neg -- or both -- that rather than being rock solid like any decent modern image harvest, continually worms its way around the screen.

And it's enough to give one a headache.

Ribs

#1184 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:10 am

...wasn't there just a 4K restoration? Is that not being used as the source?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1185 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am

It looks like the debate is whether or not this is indeed the latest 4K resto or something older, or if the 4K resto isn't as good as it should be.

FrauBlucher

#1186 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 am

Kino did promote it as a 4k restoration.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1187 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 am

KL does so much right in terms of securing new extras, acquiring high-interest titles, using great looking original key art for their covers, &c, that it's a shame they still sometimes (too often, really) struggle with their transfers

L.A.

Re: Kino

#1188 Post by L.A. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 am

dwk

#1189 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I posted this in the Criterion/UHD thread, but it should go here:

Kino is planning on releasing The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and the other two Leone/Eastwood films on UHD:
The good news... Our release of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS will be the 2016 4K Restoration by L'immagine Ritrovata and will include some very cool new extras - to be announced next week.

And we've just agreed to do a brand new 4K restoration of FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE at L'immagine Ritrovata where we will have some control over the color grading and hopefully we can release it on Blu-ray this Fall or Winter - followed by "hopefully" a 4K/UHD boxed set of the Trilogy next year.

Werewolf by Night

#1190 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 pm

a brand new 4K restoration...at L'immagine Ritrovata where we will have some control over the color grading
:lol: To paraphrase Henry Ford about the Model T, you can have it any color you want so long as it’s blue.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1191 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:14 pm

L.A. wrote:DVD Compare reviews for It's the Old Army Game (1926) and Running Wild (1927).
Great news that these are finally coming out in supposedly good form!

Up date: ordered from Kino, whose pre-order price was cheaper than Amazon's (but I had to order one other silent to get free shipping) ;-)
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaydot

#1192 Post by jaydot » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 am

Kino has acquired NA rights to The Atomic Cafe, renewing my perpetual irrational hope of someone rescuing Public Shelter from purgatory.

FrauBlucher

#1193 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 am

The Lion In Winter debate
tenia wrote:It looks like the debate is whether or not this is indeed the latest 4K resto or something older, or if the 4K resto isn't as good as it should be.
From the HTF site...
Kino Lorber Insider said: ↑
The source master for our release is the 2016 Studio Canal 4K restoration, the same one as the UK release, which has received great reviews everywhere - look it up. And we're pretty sure the North American reviews will also be very positive and we're also sure that 95% of fans will be very happy with the transfer. The only difference between the UK and US one is the 5.1 audio... we did a new one.

TT never has access to this master and we're positive they would've loved to release it, the master they turned down was a very old MGM HD master. And we did not use this older master by mistake.

Robert Harris added....
I believe everything being said.
The problems do not stem from KL. They go back to the “restoration” performed by Canal, which while it could be 4k, neither has 4k information, nor has the stability of a modern scan. It is technologically impossible for Canal to have performed a modern scan on an OCN, and ended up with the image that I'm seeing. If they're using anything other than the OCN, there is no reason to go 4k.

And I also agree that the majority of viewers will be happy.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1194 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:47 pm

I own the 2017 French BD of The Lion in Winter and had a quick look at it and yeah, if that's a new 4K restoration, then something went very wrong.
It looks excessively smooth, somewhere between a visible use of DNR and the use of an older master. It also isn't very stable color-wise. Finally, it seems quite dirty in a way we don't currently see a lot with newer 4k restorations : lots of small dust specks, small scratches, etc.

It's either not at all a brand new 4K restoration, or a poorly done one.
I haven't checked the sound since I only wanted to see how it looks.

Here are a few caps :
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1195 Post by Drucker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:43 pm

If Studio Canal did the remaster themselves, given their terrible track record with I believe Terminator 2 and The Man Who Fell to Earth off the top of my head, isn't that almost certainly the culprit?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1196 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 pm

They have done good thingd though, but yes, it most certainly is.

Costa

#1197 Post by Costa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:34 pm

I wanted to buy this but it certainly doesn't look good.
And on top of this you have the sync issues too.
(yeah, i know it is said that they are minor, but I notice these things very much)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1198 Post by Drucker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 pm

tenia wrote:They have done good thingd though, but yes, it most certainly is.
Agreed. Their black and white French classics (Forbidden Games, the Carne films) are fine, and I constantly see good reviews for their 50s/60s British films. Not sure why they keep blowing it on higher profile titles.

FrauBlucher

#1199 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Many of the SC titles that were released here in the states by Lionsgate (the OOP Criterion titles) were disappointing. Granted, it wasn't recent times.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1200 Post by tenia » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 pm

They're very big and have multiple teams working on different projects / line-ups, so the teams who supervised Terminator 2 or The Man Who Fell To Earth are probably the same than the ones who chose to filter the grain out of their French Bergman BDs but not the same who are mostly working on the Vintage Classics.