Festival Circuit 2018

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Festival Circuit 2018

#151 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Omensetter wrote:2016 was really the only outlier... there seemed to be some sort of a dispute between Dolan and the Coens over Carol, perhaps resulting in Dheepan. There wasn't much enthusiasm at that post-awards press conference.
At that press conference, one of many reasons I've grown fond of Jake Gylenhaal in recent years:
Todd Haynes’s Carol, widely tipped for big prizes, had to make do with a shared Best Actress for Rooney Mara – the explanation being that Dolan had far less time for it than anyone else, and may have resorted to some toys-out-of-pram tactics to block it from higher consideration... The jury also got a final dig in. When Dolan said, “I somehow feel like a better person” towards the end of the jury press conference, Gyllenhaal was simply heard to mutter, “You’re not.”

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#152 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 pm

I thought that quote had been attributed to Ethan Coen?

FrauBlucher

#153 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 pm

knives wrote:As Fraublucher said they definitely don't. Maybe a few stray weirdos would protest it, but otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if they simply didn't know it existed. Some of these people, mostly the Burrow Park sort than the Williamsburg sort, are basically Amish when it comes to film with even nature films being considered a waste of time and potentially inappropriate. The hipsters that live with them might be attracted to smugly watch though.
Burrough Park was the neighborhood I referred to in my earlier post. That neighborhood borders with Bensonhurst. I pretty much lived on the street that divides the two. It was very interesting with a big Italian American population and Hasidim population intermingling and not always in a get along way.

I just watched the trailer to Menashe. It will be interesting to see what kind of response it gets from it's community. The following is a Q&A with Joshua Weinstein and the lead principals. This will give you a little insight into that world.

hearthesilence

#154 Post by hearthesilence » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I thought that quote had been attributed to Ethan Coen?
It was indeed Coen.

Dolan is a talentless shit, and yet Cannes insists on inflicting him on us year after year.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#155 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 17, 2018 8:51 pm

I was researching the Cesars the other day and was surprised how much they loved Dolan too. Maybe it's just a French thing

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#156 Post by Omensetter » Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I thought that quote had been attributed to Ethan Coen?
I thought the same thing too, and may have disseminated that information on this forum. The article says Gyllenhaal, though, and this tweet from the same time period places Gyllenhaall as the speaker: https://twitter.com/watchcowboyfilm/sta ... 05?lang=en.

More conclusively, here's the actual video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUu62UlGOvw&t=1410s

People in Film Power Ranking Adjustment
Ethan Coen --- ----
Jake Gyllenhaal ^^^ ----

It's always nice to have a three-year old memory corrected. I even linked to DarkImbecile's article in the Dheepan thread upon its Criterion announcement.
------

This Labaki is starting to get slammed. It might well prove the most divisive of the festival. I suppose this is what happens when the follow-up to a TIFF's Audience Award winner plays Cannes. Like, it's getting slammed by some more mainstream critics from outlets like Indiewire that I don't bother with unless I'm trying to get a sense of a film that I won't see for months. I suppose we'll see later tonight or anytime now?

furbicide

#157 Post by furbicide » Fri May 18, 2018 1:34 am

Having watched that now, I'm not actually sure that comment was meant as anything other than a playful dig – there certainly didn't look to be any malice intended.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#158 Post by tenia » Fri May 18, 2018 3:54 am

domino harvey wrote:I was researching the Cesars the other day and was surprised how much they loved Dolan too. Maybe it's just a French thing
Believe me, many of us would like this to stop.

Lost Highway

#159 Post by Lost Highway » Fri May 18, 2018 4:23 am

Dead or Deader wrote:
knives wrote:I have to admit I don't understand this assumption that religious Jews watch movies?
The synagogues bring their members for a special trip to the movies by watching something that's reflective of their theology.
Not sure there are a lot of movies catering to that market.

In the 90s I lived Stamford Hill, a part of London largely populated by Orthodox Jews. There often were boys with sidelocks hanging out at the local video store, watching the movies which were playing on monitors there. I once asked a couple of them why and they said they didn’t have a television at home and they weren’t allowed to go to the cinema. Like any teenagers they were rebelling in little ways. I once found a group of boys outside my door where they weren’t seen by their family, with a boombox listening to hip hop, smoking.

It wasn’t just the kids though, I found that extreme repression resulted in a lot of transgressive acts by adult men. Gay cruising, exibitionism (one older man regularly used to expose himself to non-orthodox women on public transport) I saw it all. The community even had its own transvestite in orthodox female garb, who used to clump around late at night, trying to flirt with men and speaking in a falsetto voice.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#160 Post by Omensetter » Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 am

furbicide wrote:Having watched that now, I'm not actually sure that comment was meant as anything other than a playful dig – there certainly didn't look to be any malice intended.
Yeah, when I initially watched it, Gyllenhaal came off as more endearing. At first, his doggedness to get his quip in seemed a gesture belying a deeper rift that can easily occur in these high-stakes subjective deliberations, but there's no reason for me (and the media) to project maliciousness when there's no evidence of it. In the clip, Gyllenhaal ensured that Dolan saw him grinning, which really just seems to indicate that Gylenhaal wanted to ensure that Dolan knew he wasn't coming after him. It's probably time to retire that Cannestroversy and admit that it stems from scorned Carol fans and Dolan detractors like myself. Gyllenhaal is, after all, starring in Audiard's latest film.

Ribs

#161 Post by Ribs » Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 am

Magnolia has bought Shoplifters for the US.

DarkImbecile

#162 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 18, 2018 10:49 am

Ribs wrote:lol Magnolia bought Shoplifters
fixed

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#163 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Glad to see both Burning and Shoplifters (my most-wanted-to-be-able-to-see- as-soon-as-possible films at the festival) are getting pretty uniformly positive reviews. ;-)

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#164 Post by Omensetter » Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 pm

UCR Award: Border by Ali Abbasi
UCR Jury Prize: The Dead and the Others by João Salaviza and Renée Nader Messora
UCR Award for Best Director: Sergei Loznitsa for Donbass
UCR Jury Award for Best Performance: Victor Polster for Girl
UCR for Best Screenplay: Meryem Benm'Barek-Aloïsi for Sofia

(Bi Gan will be fine.)

The Queer Palme went to Lukas Dhont's Girl.
------
Capernaum, Knife + Heart, Ayka, and The Wild Pear Tree seemed to have been crammed in at the end, with the latter being three hours. Perhaps as a result, I don't really have a gauge on Ayka. Mixed, at least. The Wild Pear Tree is just plumb picking up raves to end up this festival of seemingly endless raves. Now, to see the films in a few months/years (still need to find a way to see A Gentle Creature and Sieranevada), if not longer if no one picks up the fifteen films currently unspoken for in competition, to say nothing of the other sidebars.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#165 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 10:46 am

Predictions
Palme d'Or --- Alice Rohrwacher, Lazzaro felice
Grand Prix --- Pawel Pawlikowski, Cold War
Director --- Kirill Serebrennikov, Leto & Jafar Panahi, Three Faces
Screenplay --- Nadine Labaki, Capernaum
Actress --- Samal Yeslyamova, Ayka
Actor --- Marcello Fonte, Dogman
Jury --- Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#166 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 11:52 am

I think Hirokazu Kore-eda's supposed win something as well, but I'm too lazy to edit my post.

Lee Chang-dong and Lukas Dhont also won the FIPRESCI awards.
-----
Briefly, on Ceylan: For some reason, I love him just coming here every three-to-four years with a three-hour film in which he sincerely engages in big issues that are as old as imaginale. Anatolia (still his peak) and Winter Sleep were masterful, and I'm pressed to think of another director at the moment that does what he does. His films are fairly unfashionable and he'll probably find himself out of fashion at some point in the future, but he cares about what he engages in all the same.

I won't see it until its release in August, but I'm hearing rumors of a Spike Lee victory which I already strong disagree with based on the inclusion of some footage I won't spoil. I'll get over it if it happens obviously, but it's just what I'm hearing. I really think they should just give it to Rohrwacher. By all accounts, her film is Palme-worthy (whatever that means) and it'll put an end to the Campion statistic that is trotted out every year. Better her than Labaki, it would seem.

Apparently, Chang Chen really loved Jia's film. He's still young, but Jia might find himself in the list of great directors who debuted at Cannes and never won the Palme. Perhaps he'll abandon his tripartite structure next decade.

DarkImbecile

#167 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat May 19, 2018 11:52 am

Predictions
Palme d'Or: Cold War, Pawlikowski
Grand Prix: Shoplifters, Kore-eda
Director: Rohrwacher, Lazzaro felice
Screenplay: Burning, Lee/Oh
Actress: Zhao Tao, Ash is the Purest White
Actor: Marcello Fonte, Dogman
Jury: BlacKkKlansman, Lee

DarkImbecile

#168 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#169 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 1:49 pm

All my usual outlets for the final ceremony have forsaken me, alas (Canal+ included).

Apparently, Asia Argento went off on Weinstein!

Camera d'Or --- Lukas Dhont, Girl
Actress --- Samal Yeslyamova, Ayka

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#170 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Screenplay --- Alice Rohracher & Jafar Panahi

This seems foreboding.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#171 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 1:52 pm

In that none of my favorites are left. Unless JLG wins, now it's a matter of hoping Labaki doesn't win.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#172 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Director --- Pawel Pawlikowski, Cold War

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#173 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Where's the giant cane to get Benigni off the stage?

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#174 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Godard wins some Lifetime Achievement Award or something. I'm sure he's bouncing around his room in Switzerland.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#175 Post by Omensetter » Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Go Kore-eda! I haven't seen a film of yours since Nobody Knows but I promise to watch Still Walking and Shoplifters.