Roseanne/The Conners

Discuss TV shows old and new.
connor

Re: Roseanne

#26 Post by connor » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Lost Highway wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Not to play devil's advocate, but I saw the Clinton campaign as "a dialogue" in the sense that they were doing a whole lot of telling people what's good for them, and that backfired terribly. If anything, letting the Trump administration's actions speak for themselves is what's going to rescue us from a lot of this. In these special elections, dissatisfaction with the current government's handling of healthcare is most voters' #1 issue.
I hope so, but political populism was a result of a disenchantment with mainstream politics and I’m not sure that will just go away when Trump‘s time is over. It’s not just happening in the US, it’s happening all round the world. People want to hear about easy solutions to complex problems and I’m not sure they even listened to Clinton, they were too peroccupied with conspiracy theories in regard to her. and Clinton wasn’t a great communicator and for a Democrat, pretty right wing herself. Maybe they are more likely to listen to a sitcom.
The thing is:

There are "easy" solutions to complex problems. They're just not politically easy. The point is: to change the politics. A tax on capital (recommended by Thomas Pikkety). A national program of full-employment/public works jobs for all (recently, to my great surprise, endorsed in the NYT by Clinton's former treasury secretary and Goldman Sachs vet Robert Rubin). Medicare-for-All (which was dismissed, sneeringly, by Hillary Clinton as a "fantasy," a fairly grotesque thing to say in an extremely wealthy country in which tens of millions have no health insurance even after the Democrats's reform).

But notice what these all have in common? The ruling class has no interest in any of these things. And they openly scorn or fear the working class politics that would be needed to achieve them.

People are correct when they balk at a very affluent technocrat who tells them "sorry, but you and your children's future are gonna have to be tougher and harder because...uh...the Market" even as the rich get visibly richer and richer all around them.

flyonthewall2983

#27 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 pm

Ratings dropped 23% last night. Thank you, Mr. Harmon.

Lost Highway

#28 Post by Lost Highway » Fri May 18, 2018 7:45 am

connor

#29 Post by connor » Fri May 18, 2018 4:02 pm

This is absurd.

I saw the episode in question. Roseanne and her muslim neighbor are in line at the grocery store and they bond over the fact that they both have to buy groceries with SNAP cards. The cashier then tells the muslim woman she can't buy a rotisserie chicken with her SNAP card cause it counts as "prepared food." And Roseanne then sarcastically says "yeah, because apparently that counts as a luxury. We get prepared foods and rich people get yachts." The cashier then says racist shit to the muslim woman. Roseanne then uses her SNAP card to pay for her neighbors groceries then tells off the cashier.

So let's break this down: Roseanne starts off as a bigot then begins to rise above that bigotry through working class solidarity with "the other" specifically through our meager American welfare state. How is that "reactionary"? Fighting-racism-through-class solidarity is kinda "labor movement politics" 101.

Roseanne is a psycho reactionary who's politically all over the place but the writers room is clearly dominated by lefties.

Werewolf by Night

#30 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Why does Roseanne have to pay for her neighbor’s groceries with her SNAP card if the neighbor has their own SNAP card?

connor

#31 Post by connor » Fri May 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:Why does Roseanne have to pay for her neighbor’s groceries with her SNAP card if the neighbor has their own SNAP card?
She didn't have enough left in her account or something.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 am

Big Ben

#33 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am

It'll be interesting to see how ABC responds to this. I mean she's already deep in on the Pizzagate shit. Will this bring it all down? Not sure that it will.

Lost Highway

#34 Post by Lost Highway » Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm

It’s been cancelled, which was the right thing to do.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/29/roseanne-c ... versy-abc/

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#35 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 29, 2018 1:55 pm

I am impressed ABC didn't drag their heels to see if the controversy would die out. This was just bald racism without any possible way to justify it or its speaker

flyonthewall2983

#36 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm

I would bet that there was a strong contingent of anti-Roseanne people left over in the network from her last reign of terror there, who have been pushing for this from the moment the reboot was announced.

Now to see if Trump gets his .02 in.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#37 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm
Now to see if Trump gets his .02 in.
This is exactly the kind of ultimately meaningless fight he and his movement love to capitalize on to draw strength from trolling everyone else; I'd bet that he'll call for another network to pick it up, Fox will do so, and he'll gloat about owning a bunch of liberals again. At the very least it'll be yet another easily exploited signal that white people and their freedom of expression are the real victims of oppression in America. Not to say that ABC shouldn't have canceled the show, but there's no good outcome here.

Also, the tweets comparing a black person to apes and then defending that position are rightfully drawing the attention, but the Soros/Clinton/Nazi tweets were vile in their own right.

Luke M

Roseanne

#38 Post by Luke M » Tue May 29, 2018 2:43 pm

I suppose the hypocrisy of demanding athletes be kicked out of the NFL for exercising their right to free expression and —- ah never mind, who am I kidding, not even worth finishing this thought.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#39 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Call me an idealist, but I think Barr's statement was too racist to ever be walked back or for another network to want to give her a shot. Plus Roseanne is ABC-owned, so they'd have to release it to someone else, and likely wouldn't

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#40 Post by soundchaser » Tue May 29, 2018 2:49 pm

She didn’t use the n-word, so I suspect SOME will attenpt to excuse it as “just a joke,” as Barr herself did.

hearthesilence

#41 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Luke M wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:43 pm
I suppose the hypocrisy of demanding athletes be kicked out of the NFL for exercising their right to free expression and —- ah never mind, who am I kidding, not even worth finishing this thought.
Hah, pretty much made the same joke myself.
Last edited by hearthesilence on Tue May 29, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearcuborg

#42 Post by bearcuborg » Tue May 29, 2018 2:52 pm

What are the chances she gets picked up by the network with the Tim Allen show?
Last edited by bearcuborg on Tue May 29, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Highway

#43 Post by Lost Highway » Tue May 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Alternatively they could have just fired her and bring in Sandy Duncan. Worked last time.

Big Ben

#44 Post by Big Ben » Tue May 29, 2018 2:57 pm

Really remarkable that this is what broke the camel's back. Roseanne has been pushing conspiracies for years and this behavior isn't exactly new. I don't even think it's worth praising them for cancelling something that should never have been resurrected in the first place.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#45 Post by Brian C » Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Luke M wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:43 pm
I think you're right that it's not worth finishing, since any "hypocrisy" there can easily be argued to cut both ways.
She didn’t use the n-word, so I suspect SOME will attempt to excuse it as “just a joke,” as Barr herself did.
Not that the tweet itself wasn't repugnant, but her "just a joke" defense really shows a level of cowardice that I had not associated with her before. OBVIOUSLY it was "just a joke" - I seriously doubt literally anyone was sitting around puzzled at how a religious group and a movie could get together and reproduce. There was no possible purpose to the tweet except as a joke.

But what is the joke? Well, obviously the joke is that black people remind her of apes. Like ... that's it (I suspect the "Nation of Islam" part wasn't actually meant as a joke and that Barr thinks Jarrett is actually a Nation of Muslim member). It's a dumbass cliched racist joke pitched at dumbass racist people.

And instead of taking account for it one way or the other, she tried to slink by with "just a joke." It's just a truly, pathetically lame dodge, especially for someone who's been a professional comedian for a very long time and obviously knows better.

flyonthewall2983

#46 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Historically speaking, "ape" is just as bad as the N-word.

flyonthewall2983

#47 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Apparently the conservative response is rallying to get Bill Maher fired.

That'd be awesome.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:37 pm
Apparently the conservative response is rallying to get Bill Maher fired.

That'd be awesome.
They are pretending calling someone a monkey is racist when directed at whites. It's a willful ploy to confuse the issue

flyonthewall2983

#49 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:46 pm

A man can dream, dom.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#50 Post by Brian C » Tue May 29, 2018 5:54 pm

700 club & dunston checks in had a baby=dt