MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
ianthemovie

Re: MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

#326 Post by ianthemovie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but apparently MGM has lost the rights to She's Gotta Have It, according to my university library (I license the film for streaming in one of the classes I teach). Fingers crossed that a Blu-ray might be in the works, perhaps inspired by the new TV series?

flyonthewall2983

#327 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 am

Seems like Fox is letting go of MGM stuff left and right. Would it have to do with the potential Disney acquisition?

Jameson281

#328 Post by Jameson281 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 am
Seems like Fox is letting go of MGM stuff left and right. Would it have to do with the potential Disney acquisition?
Fox has nothing to do with it. The original distribution deal with Goldwyn (which MGM inherited when it bought Orion) expired; that's all.

Reverend Drewcifer

#329 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/mgm-lea ... rgets.html
MGM, in particular, seems like a logical candidate to sell this year. Its owners include Anchorage Capital, Highland Capital and Solus Alternative Asset Management, hedge funds that acquired the company out of bankruptcy in 2010. The funds have made a brilliant decision to sit on their asset for nearly a decade, turning a bankrupt content library into an asset likely worth more than $10 billion, according to people familiar with the matter. And unlike family-owned media companies like AMC (the Dolan family) or ViacomCBS (the Redstone family), the company’s owners are probably less likely to be deterred from selling.

MGM has held preliminary talks with a number of companies, including Apple and Netflix, to gauge their interest in an acquisition, two of the people said. MGM owns the James Bond catalog and its studio has made several current hit shows including “The Handmaid’s Tale,” which streams on Hulu, and “Live PD,” a reality police show that has frequently been the most watched show on cable TV and airs on A&E. It also owns premium cable network Epix. MGM had revenue of more than $1 billion for the first nine months of the year consisting primarily of about $600 million in TV and film licensing revenue and $300 million from Epix subscriptions. For the nine months ended September 30, 2019, MGM reported adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization of $123 million.

Matt

#331 Post by Matt » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:15 pm

No good place to put this news, but: Lionsgate is releasing a 4K UHD steelbook of Cutthroat Island, the notorious flop that bankrupted Carolco Pictures, nearly bled dry an already-dying MGM, and effectively ended Geena Davis’ film career. The movie you couldn’t pay people to see in 95/96 (I know, I was there, and nobody wanted to see it) will now be available in a deluxe edition in the highest-quality home video format ever for $40. Flabbergasting.

Finch

#332 Post by Finch » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:26 pm

I seem to recall that the master which Studio Canal released in Europe received a controversial color grade and that too much DNR was applied. So even now this film isn't catching a break. I actually watched Davis in another Harlin movie The Long Kiss Goodnight two weeks ago and she was a lot of fun in it. As was the movie which didn't seem to be as mean spirited as some of Harlin's earlier work (Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#333 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:16 pm

The color grade was debated but I don't recall DNR having been mentioned.