MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
M Sanderson

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3801 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:32 am

How likely is it that MoC would pick up such Walter Hill releases featured by TT of recent such as Wild Bill and Geronimo? (Obviously they already did with Hard Times, a while back.)

rapta

#3802 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Eureka on Twitter:
In less than 24 hrs we'll be revealing full deets of our four Oct 2018 releases... and we're all set for HALLOWEEN, with 3 of the 4 titles set to be HORROR. So join us at 3pm UK time tomorrow, for more info!

What horror titles would you like to see get a Blu-ray upgrade?

My guesses for the three horror titles would be Vampyr, A Chinese Ghost Story, Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte and Kwaidan. Fingers crossed we get one or two of those!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3803 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:22 pm

It's actually : Plus All are Eurka Classics, no MoC.

rapta

#3804 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Yup, quite disappointing (other than the non-horror title). Still, confirms Eureka are still inclined to license from Sony so we could see some good things appearing for MoC. Seems even Indicator have a few blind spots!

dda1996a

#3805 Post by dda1996a » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Seems arrow and Indicator took all of Eureka interesting titles, as it's been a few months since they announced anything interesting. I miss the not long ago time when they will announce stuff like Hou Hsiao Hsien

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3806 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Considering Indicator has no intention of releasing any non-English language films, you'd think MoC would at least focus their attention more there

Finch

#3807 Post by Finch » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:38 pm

I love Project A so I'm over the moon with it coming from Eureka. Nothing at all from the MoC line this October so they must have a big title or titles for November. More Sternberg or Page of Madness would be most welcome.
Last edited by Finch on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3808 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm
Considering Indicator has no intention of releasing any non-English language films, you'd think MoC would at least focus their attention more there
That's what I thought too. It would also probably be considered as some kind of step back to the sources of what MoC were doing at the beginning. With more competition than ever in this segment, that'd make even more sense.

rapta

#3809 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm
I assume you mean the Sony library, in which case I'm wondering the same thing. Crowd-pleasers like Sollima's The Big Gundown and Honda's Mothra are available, as is Ringo Lam's Full Contact (which they'd be wise to consider if I'm correct in assuming they're planning to release John Woo's A Better Tomorrow as part of their current deal with Fortune Star).

As for MoC fare, Clouzot's La Vérité, Kusturica's Time of the Gypsies and Visconti's Sandra may be up for grabs, though Criterion may be interested in those.

dwk

#3810 Post by dwk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Criterion has  La Vérité and I have reason to suspect they will be announcing it soon.

Dr Amicus

#3811 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 am

Personally, I'm particularly pleased to see the release of Monkey Shines which I don't think I've seen since its original theatrical release - I remember it as being one of Romero's finest films (despite a last minute cheap shock added by the studio). At the time I was an undergraduate and was doing a course on Horror cinema - the course leader was a huge Romero fan and had chosen him as the subject for the Auteurism part of the class and Monkey Shines fitted very nicely into the Auteurist reading that he had proposed.

FrauBlucher

MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3812 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I’m hoping with The Golem getting a 4k restoration that MoC will release this. I know Kino will probably release it here in the states but I always prefer the MoC silent film editions more.

Apperson

#3813 Post by Apperson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:35 pm

About speculation in regards to other potential Fortune Star releases, there is this video showcasing their 4K/2K remasters.

Along with that is a list that has been posted around blu-ray.com. Already announced titles are in bold:
4K Remasters
The Big Boss
Fist of Fury
The Way of the Dragon
Game of Death
A Better Tomorrow
Police Story
Police Story II

Police Story III
Once Upon a Time in China
OUATIC II
OUATIC III

2K Remasters
A Chinese Ghost Story
Running Out of Time
Running Out of Time 2
Riki-Oh
The Adventurers
Iron Monkey
Black Mask
Black Mask II
The Cannonball Run
Battle Creek Brawl
Armour of God
City Hunter
Project A
Project A II

Wheels on Meals
Once Upon a Time in China and America (Do we know the source on the Eureka disc?)
Dr. Wai in "The Scriptures with No Words"
Personally gunning (pun intended) for A Better Tomorrow in MoC or Eureka Classics.

Finch

#3814 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Wheels on Meals is a great Jackie Chan film and hopefully that'll be on their acquisitions list for next year.

rapta

#3815 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Hoping for A Better Tomorrow and maybe Running Out of Time too. Both should be a good fit for MoC, I reckon (To's Mad Detective obviously being an early MoC Blu-ray title). The former would put a huge grin on my face - there has been no pre-Hollywood Woo available on UK Blu-ray to date.

And obviously Wheels on Meals and Battle Creek Brawl are no-brainers too, if we're talking Jackie Chan.

I was surprised they didn't announce A Chinese Ghost Story for October, but maybe they couldn't prep it in time (or are getting the box sets out of the way first).

Anyway, if we're right about A Better Tomorrow, hopefully it's only a matter of time before we get The Killer, Bullet in the Head and Heroes Shed No Tears too (once they've been restored of course). Some Ringo Lam stuff wouldn't go amiss either.

What A Disgrace

#3816 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:56 pm

I wonder if a Bruce Lee boxed set is in the works, because that would be a pretty big deal.

MichaelB

#3817 Post by MichaelB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:32 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:I wonder if a Bruce Lee boxed set is in the works, because that would be a pretty big deal.
And a pretty unlikely one, since existing British Blu-rays are still in print.

zedz

#3818 Post by zedz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 pm

You can vote for your favourite Masters of Cinema and Eureka releases of the year (and a whole lot more) in the Criterion Forum BAFTAS: here.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3819 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 am

Khartoum and Yanks to be released in Dec 2018 as Eureka Classics.

rockysds

#3820 Post by rockysds » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:14 am

Some unannounced forthcoming titles in 2019 from this Eureka survey:

MoC
The Fate of Lee Khan
Hand of Death & Last Hurrah for Chivalry - Two Films by John Woo
Irma la Douce

Eureka Classics:
Three Films by Sammo Hung - Eastern Condors, The Magnificent Butcher & The Iron Fisted Monk
Wheels on Meals
Zu Warriors of the Magic Mountain
Sink the Bismarck!

Montage Pictures:
Donbass
The Third Wife
November
We the Animals
Last edited by rockysds on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3821 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:25 am

I don't think Zu (Classics), Wheels on Meals (Classics), We The Animals (Montage), The Third Wife (Montage) and November (Montage) wer already known titles.

rapta

#3822 Post by rapta » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:13 pm

November, Donbass and The Third Wife were the only known titles as they announced them in recent months on social media. All the others are new announcements!

Very excited for The Fate of Lee Khan especially, and glad to see they're doing yet more Wilder - this time a comedy in the shape of Irma la Douce.

The John Woo announcement is intriguing - though it doesn't actually say whether that will be MoC or Eureka Classics. Could be the latter, although if they do A Better Tomorrow at some point that may switch to MoC (one of his later, better action films).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3823 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Kino Lorber's Irma uses a new (and possibly exclusive) 4K transfer and features two commentaries, MOC will have to bring something huge to the table to compete

Finch

#3824 Post by Finch » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

The fact they are doing John Woo films is more exciting than these two films themselves. Super happy about Fate of Lee Khan even if it's likely another colour botch job from the Italians, and Wheels on Meals and the Sammo Hung boxset.

Ribs

#3825 Post by Ribs » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:36 am

Shout-out to Eureka for the first time in recent memory their “24 hours to announcement!” Tweet hasn’t served as an APB that the releases are already listed on Amazon