Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
DarkImbecile
LightGenius

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1751 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 pm

I think even for standard Blu-rays the difference is substantial in the colors and black levels; just watched the Criterion Days of Heaven the other night, and it was spectacular.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1752 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Oh, absolutely. The rising tide of that TV's up-scaling and color depth floats all boats.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1753 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Yes, even my wife (who really doesn't give a shit about this kinda stuff) had to admit it was an amazing TV (and she's been getting more use of it than me so far!) I'm not all for 4K digital copies yet, or streaming, but I was impressed with how the 4K Buster Scruggs and Roma looked on Netflix, much better than I would have expected. I have some 4K digital copies (from codes I got from the 4K disc counterparts) I'll try out at some point. But I'm thrilled with the 4K discs I've been trying out. The Pixar films I tried, stuff like The Last Jedi and a couple Marvel films, they all looked great, and I was even pleased with Goodfellas. Very clear upgrades. I wasn't sold on 4K because my father-in-law has a 4K set-up and I wasn't all that impressed when I saw it. But I suspect he doesn't have everything set up correctly because it's night-and-day for me now. The blacks are really incredible on their own.

And yes, it all upscales well. My Blu-rays (that I've tried) look great, and I was even impressed with some of the DVDs (though, yeah, they're still limited).

I'll be lucky to get a Toblerone for Christmas this year after this, but it was well worth it.