Criterion and StudioCanal

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1251 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 pm
bluray.com poster wrote:Hoping it's Le Deuxième Souffle (1966). Not sure if that's with StudioCanal or not.
KL Insider wrote:It's not with StudioCanal. And I'm sure it's still with Criterion. They just need to release it on BD.
bluray.com poster wrote:Only problem is with Criterion, they have a stockpile of films that they do nothing with. There is a decent chance that a Blu-ray could be years away or never happen. Oh well.
KL Insider wrote:Yeah, but they've been to sit on a title for 5 years, not release it and renew it for an additional 5 years.
Interesting. Does this sound like a complaint about the way Criterion does biz from the KL Insider. :-k
I could see Kino taking issue with how Criterion releases less than 30 titles a month

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1252 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Didn't Kino operate the same as Criterion before they started the Studio Classic line?

User avatar
CSM126
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am
Location: The Room
Contact:

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1253 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 pm

Those Criterion assholes, taking time to actually restore and remaster movies instead of shoveling 20 year old tv masters onto Blu-ray. It’s like they have standards or something. Ugh.

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1254 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Imagine a market where most indie labels would release 30 titles per month but people would still have the same video budgets.

black&huge
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:35 am

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1255 Post by black&huge » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm
Didn't Kino operate the same as Criterion before they started the Studio Classic line?
I've been familiar with Kino for about as long as criterion. As far back as I can remember (before blu-rays of any kind) they always seemed to lack the level of care that Criterion had even with their dvd releases. As far as I have seen they haven't changed up anything since putting out blus

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1256 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:02 am

black&huge wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm
Didn't Kino operate the same as Criterion before they started the Studio Classic line?
I've been familiar with Kino for about as long as criterion. As far back as I can remember (before blu-rays of any kind) they always seemed to lack the level of care that Criterion had even with their dvd releases. As far as I have seen they haven't changed up anything since putting out blus
I was talking strictly volume and not quality. That has always been suspect. I believe Kino would only release a handful of titles at a time much like the other boutiques, right? Since they started the Studio Classic line they've been like a factory

User avatar
knives
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1257 Post by knives » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:48 pm

No, they've always been factory like. It's just that they are now releasing more high profile titles and not just obscure silents that ten people want to watch.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1258 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:39 pm
OFFICIALLY RETURNED TO CRITERION
Lola
--------- ---------- --------- -------- ---------- ----------
Speculation
Returning to this thread like a kid returning to the toy store window contemplating.

So far based on what Kino has released and what the KLinsider says, the films that are strongly suggested coming back to Criterion:
Army of Shadows
Le Cercle Rouge
Pierrot le Fou
Tales of Hoffman
Peeping Tom
Diary of a Chambermaid

Maybe these will return to Criterion or there is a chance Cohen has swooped in to take them as the KLInsider has said other companies have joined the party:
Le Trou
A Diary of a Country Priest
Forbidden Games
Discreet Charm
Phantom of Liberty
Nights of Cabiria
Variety Lights
The White Sheik
Films of Carlos Saura


Film that wasn't with Criterion but the Kino Insider has said Kino didn't get it even though they wanted it:
The Trial

Prediction: The shitty Lionsgate/SC releases will be replaced by Criterion releases at some point (Ran, The Third Man, Contempt, La Grande Illusion and The Obscure Object of Desire)

Please add to this if I missed something...
(Fixed)
bumping
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blutarsky
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1259 Post by Blutarsky » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Put Diary of a Chambermaid as most certainly rejoining the collection.

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1260 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm

So for SC films like Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Pierre Le fou, etc that already had criterion blu releases do people think they will be completely new editions when/if released. I've seen people guessing them in the quarantined thread and it seems like a waste of an announcment slot if there is nothing new about them. (Apologies if I should have placed this message in that thread)

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1261 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:So for SC films like Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Pierre Le fou, etc that already had criterion blu releases do people think they will be completely new editions when/if released. I've seen people guessing them in the quarantined thread and it seems like a waste of an announcment slot if there is nothing new about them. (Apologies if I should have placed this message in that thread)
Third man would probably be new, ran probably new, but the three you mentioned probably the same edition.

Robespierre
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1262 Post by Robespierre » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Is it possible that all of the unchanged, previous editions of OOP SC stuff would be announced en masse and just back in print, followed by the then newly produced discs of stuff like Ran, third man, discreet charm announced months later?

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1263 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Robespierre wrote:Is it possible that all of the unchanged, previous editions of OOP SC stuff would be announced en masse and just back in print, followed by the then newly produced discs of stuff like Ran, third man, discreet charm announced months later?
Not really, since they didn’t grab all forty plus back, their strategy is almost certainly trickling them out like any other second edition format upgrade. Possibly a bigger batch at the beginning, but in all likelihood, criterion is going to take their time putting them out, likely no more than six a year.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1264 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Where are you pulling these numbers from? Obviously, like everything else they hold rights to, these rereleases are going to trickle out, but there's zero cause to put quotas to it in advance

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1265 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:Where are you pulling these numbers from? Obviously, like everything else they hold rights to, these rereleases are going to trickle out, but there's zero cause to put quotas to it in advance
Well iirc, there were forty something studio canal titles that went oop, and in the fraublaucher post a couple up, there’s about twenty possibilities listed. I wouldn’t expect them to do one a month, but I would expect they’d want them in the docket so that led me to guess about six a year.

The guess that they might do a larger batch at the first is just specious guessing based on n=1 of the first batch of blugrades.

Post Reply