130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

Discuss Blu-rays released by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Message
Author
Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#76 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:50 pm
david hare wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Salvation Hunters is on the cards as a Blu Ray from FilmMuseum, including Janet Bergstrom's excellent video essay. the remsining silents are all Paramount as noted.
Would that be the first Blu-ray from Filmmuseum? Any idea when it is being released? I just ordered The Salvation Hunters and four others on DVD. I would much rather have had them on Blu.
Woah I didnt think they'd ever go blu. Was there an announcement somewhere? Those are gonna be expensive

KJones77
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:35 pm

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#77 Post by KJones77 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Received this set today and WOW. Blew past my every expectation. Phenomenal packaging and, since I ordered direct, not a scratch or dent on it.

The book feels and looks quite hefty too, can't wait to dive into reading and rewatching the films.

On my first watch through of the films a year ago, I was a bit more lukewarm on Shanghai Express and The Scarlet Empress so I'm hopeful that they will click for me on a second watch.

ethel
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:47 am

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#78 Post by ethel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:30 am

A really impressive package, with superb renderings of the films (only MOROCCO remains the decidedly second- or third-tier soft but acceptable master seen in Region A).

The special features are a treasure trove, with Tag Gallagher’s magnificent video essay and Nathalie Morris’ extremely engaging talk on Travis Banton’s costumes particular standouts.

More than one fevered collector of my acquaintance claims the unfamiliar production still of the San Bernardino railyard dressed as the Beijing terminus is alone worth the price of the box set.

Only 6000 copies of this for Region B. Sternberg devotees - do not procrastinate!

User avatar
david hare
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#79 Post by david hare » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Tag's video essay on the Dishonored disc is a knockout. The synthesis between him and his subject makes him invisible. It is a mighty powerful piece of work.

The piece (20 minutes longer than Tag's) for the Venus disc on "Queering" by, or perhaps of Dietrich (who would know and who would care) is a new rock bottom in BritCrit post Mulveyan wankery. This nightmare begins with the presenter barking at her viewers "either ya gettit, or ya don't" To then proceed with unbelievably self evident objective textual realities which are "discovered" and extrapolated upon as though the presenter had just uncovered the eleventh stone tablet from cinematic Sinai.

User avatar
Jean-Luc Garbo
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:55 am
Contact:

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#80 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Is anyone else getting a disc error for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is A Woman?

User avatar
AidanKing
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:22 pm
Location: Cornwall, U.K.

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#81 Post by AidanKing » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Both discs are fine in my set so I think it must be an isolated error. The set is excellent by the way, with an extremely good range of extras. Despite David's criticism, I rather enjoyed the So Mayer piece (I've previously found her work on Sally Potter and feminist cinema to be very worthwhile too) and it was good to have some acknowledgement of the LGBTQ+ elements and appeal of the films, as opposed to the Criterion set apparently. The piece on Travis Banton by Nathalie Morris was welcome too: the recent obituary for Piero Tosi in 'The Guardian' commented that Banton was his favourite designer which, based on his costume designs for Visconti, comes as absolutely no surprise.

User avatar
david hare
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#82 Post by david hare » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:04 pm

I commend you to watch, if you can get it the Criterion disc of Scarlet Empress which has a terrific piece by Farran Smith Nehme which really goes into places I care about, but which have been overlooked in 80 years of published commentary. Presumably deemd unworthy by so many "scholars", whose disdain for the mechanics of commercial movie making blinds them to suhc trivia. Far more than the tedium of Brit gender stuides, Farran is actually interested in the studio system and the mechanics of Hollywood in relation to its greatest artists. So she actually researches the other creative forces behind both Jo and Parmount. Perhaps the most important among many is Jules Furthmann upon whom she clearly spent a ton of energy and research digging up remarkable facts and history about a compeltely overlooked and largley unknown figure.

If I have to endure "gender studies" in any form which is even remotely of interest to me it is the now frequent and superb talking heads to camera pieces between Molly Haskill and Farran (again) on their two BD Lubitsch exras titles.

User avatar
Paul Moran
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#83 Post by Paul Moran » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Is anyone else getting a disc error for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is A Woman?
My set arrived yesterday, and I have not yet watched any of the films in full. However, I did a few disc checks this morning.

My Oppo 103D – which I have noticed is the “fussiest” of my BD players – reported “Unknown Disc” for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is a Woman, and “Wrong Disc” for Shanghai Express. It loaded the other three discs without any problems.

I then tried Blonde Venus, The Devil Is a Woman and Shanghai Express in my other BD players. My Oppo 203, Oppo 103 and Sony BDP-S360 had no problems. My Oppo 93 had no problems with Blonde Venus and Shanghai Express; it would not load The Devil Is a Woman, ejecting the disc without any on-screen explanation. I was too lazy to test the discs in my PC BD-ROM drive.

I am not returning my set (which I got from Hive for a short-lived bargain price of £26.65).

User avatar
Jean-Luc Garbo
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:55 am
Contact:

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#84 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Paul Moran wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 am
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Is anyone else getting a disc error for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is A Woman?
My set arrived yesterday, and I have not yet watched any of the films in full. However, I did a few disc checks this morning.

My Oppo 103D – which I have noticed is the “fussiest” of my BD players – reported “Unknown Disc” for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is a Woman, and “Wrong Disc” for Shanghai Express. It loaded the other three discs without any problems.

I then tried Blonde Venus, The Devil Is a Woman and Shanghai Express in my other BD players. My Oppo 203, Oppo 103 and Sony BDP-S360 had no problems. My Oppo 93 had no problems with Blonde Venus and Shanghai Express; it would not load The Devil Is a Woman, ejecting the disc without any on-screen explanation. I was too lazy to test the discs in my PC BD-ROM drive.

I am not returning my set (which I got from Hive for a short-lived bargain price of £26.65).
You may want to contact Indicator nonetheless. My order email and number as I ordered direct was passed on to Anthony Nield who's been helping me out. Sadly, my two replacement discs were showing the same problems as yours but not for lack of effort from Indicator! But if it's a more widespread technical problem they might want to know.

Also regarding that So Mayer interview - which I watched when somehow my disc decided to work the one time! - I think what sadly might be the case is that Mayer despite that "either you get it or you don't" attitude is indeed imparting new information - to Millennials. Part of why I loved Indicator's book is the critical notices like Haskell's which show that this sort of visual analysis has been ongoing for decades. So to anyone to whom this is news they need not take Mayer's word for it and consult Haskell as well. (Or Mulvey - or Dyer whose work I've found useful or the Adrian Martin commentary on the same disc.) Or I could be wrong about Millennials as Sasha Velour (who's about the same age as me and I take it Mayer) did that Dietrich birthday Google doodle two years back. With all the other critical voices that Indicator included, I didn't find Mayer at all unwelcome.

tag gallagher
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:41 am
Contact:

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#85 Post by tag gallagher » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm disappointed to see no commentary on von Sternberg's paintings, so beautifully displayed on the Morocco disc in this set. Von Sternberg himself identified more as a painter than a filmmaker.

The most demeaning reaction to these paintings would not be to hate them, but to ignore them totally -- which is what is happening.

User avatar
Paul Moran
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: 130-135 Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg at Paramount 1930-1935

#86 Post by Paul Moran » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:17 pm
Paul Moran wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 am
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Is anyone else getting a disc error for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is A Woman?
My set arrived yesterday, and I have not yet watched any of the films in full. However, I did a few disc checks this morning.

My Oppo 103D – which I have noticed is the “fussiest” of my BD players – reported “Unknown Disc” for Blonde Venus and The Devil Is a Woman, and “Wrong Disc” for Shanghai Express. It loaded the other three discs without any problems.

I then tried Blonde Venus, The Devil Is a Woman and Shanghai Express in my other BD players. My Oppo 203, Oppo 103 and Sony BDP-S360 had no problems. My Oppo 93 had no problems with Blonde Venus and Shanghai Express; it would not load The Devil Is a Woman, ejecting the disc without any on-screen explanation. I was too lazy to test the discs in my PC BD-ROM drive.

I am not returning my set (which I got from Hive for a short-lived bargain price of £26.65).
You may want to contact Indicator nonetheless. My order email and number as I ordered direct was passed on to Anthony Nield who's been helping me out. Sadly, my two replacement discs were showing the same problems as yours but not for lack of effort from Indicator! But if it's a more widespread technical problem they might want to know.
I emailed the details to Indicator, and I've had a "thank you" from Anthony Nield. I watched the first 3 films on my Sony BDP-S360 last night: no problems. I'll watch the other three later today.

Post Reply