Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
colinr0380

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2501 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 pm
And you've just reminded me of another example, whereby a spoken "EuroDisney" was turned into "Disneyland" in the subtitles for La Haine, completely missing an important contextual point - if I remember rightly, although I haven't seen the film since it came out, EuroDisney was singled out for a reason (possibly as a crap French imitation of a superior American product).
It would also have just have opened only a couple of years earlier (as Disneyland Paris in 1992) to a little bit of mockery from what I remember, until it seemed to prove successful. Even The Simpsons mocked it at the end of their Itchy and Scratchy Land episode! (In a joke they would be unlikely to get away with now that they are part of the Disney empire!) And it would have been part of the 'American colonialism' that some of the characters rail against in the film (albeit ironically quoting the Scarface "The World Is Yours" motto whilst doing so!)
Ovader wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:01 pm
February 11th
Transylvania 6-5000 (1985)
I have been curious about this for a while. From what I have heard it is not very funny at all but is historically interesting. Apparently (according to the Trailer Trauma Volume 4 commentary) this was made in Croatia entirely for the purpose of using up money 'trapped there' that could not be brought back to the United States for 'tax reasons'. And its other claim to fame is that this is the film that Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis met up and became a couple for a while on. Goldblum received the script for his next film, The Fly, whilst there which Davis read and auditioned for from that.

Gregory

#2502 Post by Gregory » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 am

Often I look at a movie and ask, "Why did this need to exist?" but rarely is the answer "Our assets are frozen; might as well use them to make a lousy horror spoof (menacing laugh)":
The movie was financed by Dow Chemical Company, a company rarely associated with film making. Yugoslav law at the time prevented the company from repatriating funds that it had accumulated in the Yugoslav dinar. To free these frozen funds, Dow decided to use them to pay for a film production inside the country. (Wikipedia)
Last edited by Gregory on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#2503 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:38 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am
It would also have just have opened only a couple of years earlier (as Disneyland Paris in 1992) to a little bit of mockery from what I remember, until it seemed to prove successful.
Other way round - it opened as EuroDisney in 1992, but the name was changed to Disneyland Paris in October 1994 as part of an emergency rebranding exercise. I assume it was still widely known as EuroDisney when La Haine was filmed (it had its world premiere in May 1995, which suggests that the bulk if not all of the shooting would have been in 1994).

colinr0380

#2504 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 am

Ah, that explains the "Euro Itchy & Scratchy Land" reference in that Simpsons episode as well then!

knives

#2505 Post by knives » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Gregory wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 am
Often I look at a movie and ask, "Why did this need to exist?" but rarely is the answer "Our assets are frozen; might as well use them to make a lousy horror spoof (menacing laugh)":
The movie was financed by Dow Chemical Company, a company rarely associated with film making. Yugoslav law at the time prevented the company from repatriating funds that it had accumulated in the Yugoslav dinar. To free these frozen funds, Dow decided to use them to pay for a film production inside the country. (Wikipedia)
Hey, that's how Disney got into live action filmmaking. It's a weirdly common story.

Gregory

#2506 Post by Gregory » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Dow or a similar corporation financed Treasure Island and The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men?! What story do you mean?

knives

#2507 Post by knives » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Not being able to make use of out of country funds so using a film production to get that money back.

whaleallright

#2508 Post by whaleallright » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 am

Gregory wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 am
The Dow connection is indeed strange, but much Hollywood runaway production can be explained the same way.... A percentage of distribution profits would be frozen in some country, and the studio would shoot a film partly in Spain or Italy or Japan or whatever in order to make use of those funds. Hell, IIRC that's why we got House of Bamboo and many others....

Gregory

#2509 Post by Gregory » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:49 am

What I was trying (perhaps badly) to say was remarkable was that the company that brought us Agent Orange decided to make a foray into film production, of all things, due to frozen assets, and not too surprisingly the result was one of those movies that potentially embarrasses everyone involved in it—a list that includes some major names.

whaleallright

#2510 Post by whaleallright » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am

At least it didn't kill anyone (that we know of)...

captveg

#2511 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm

November sales are live.

"While Supplies Last" sale - These are titles that will not be reprinted when stock sells out.

"Noirvember" sale

CantelopeSkiz

#2512 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Thank you, they messed up the links on their twitter page, with both of them linking to the Noirvember sale.