Criterion and UHD

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Calvin

Re: Criterion and UHD

#251 Post by Calvin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Synapse's Suspiria might provide them with a better measure. Any word on how that one is selling?

EddieLarkin

#252 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Suspiria has an even higher retail price ($60 vs. Tammy's $50), but we are not comparing like for like. The Tammy UHD is currently available only in its Limited Edition 3D Slipcover form, and only through the VS webstore. Eventually VS will release a standard UHD with no slipcover, available from everywhere. Suspiria on the otherhand is already available in its only planned (non-LE) edition, and is thus already available everywhere. I imagine VS are only going to judge the success of this release on UHD once the standard edition is available.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#253 Post by tenia » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm

Synpase might get burnt with Suspiria though as they've been repeatedly saying over the past years "we don't plan this or that" only to later release those.
I wouldn't be surprised Suspiria gets a non-LE UHD re-release in the near future, or at least that some customers will be waiting for one instead of buying the current LE release (which also doesnt even include the movie on BD despite its price).

In any case, you're right about the probable wait for slightly longer term figures to assess the market.

Luke M

#254 Post by Luke M » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Luke M wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 am
VS's website shows they have 459 in stock of the 4K version but only 40 of the regular blu-ray. I would've thought more people would've went for the 4K but I imagine the adoption just isn't there yet.
Tammy and the T-Rex now showing 246 left of the 4K and 216 of the blu-ray. Seems they moved about 200 slipcovers?

dwk

#255 Post by dwk » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm

tenia wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm
Synpase might get burnt with Suspiria though as they've been repeatedly saying over the past years "we don't plan this or that" only to later release those.
I wouldn't be surprised Suspiria gets a non-LE UHD re-release in the near future, or at least that some customers will be waiting for one instead of buying the current LE release (which also doesnt even include the movie on BD despite its price).

In any case, you're right about the probable wait for slightly longer term figures to assess the market.
Synapse's Suspiria UHD isn't a limited edition. And, despite the high MSRP, I think it is like $35 or $36 at most etailers. A price that I think is more than fair.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#256 Post by tenia » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm

dwk wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Synapse's Suspiria UHD isn't a limited edition.
Oh, right, my bad. :oops:
dwk wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm
And, despite the high MSRP, I think it is like $35 or $36 at most etailers. A price that I think is more than fair.
It's way more expensive than what most people are paying for the utmost majority of their BDs and again, despite that, it's not even a combo.