28 Birdy

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

28 Birdy

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:00 am

[b[BIRDY
(Alan Parker, 1984)
Release date: 28 October 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)[/b]

Based on the acclaimed, ‘unfilmable’ novel by William Wharton, about a boy who dreams of flying, Alan Parker’s elliptical, ethereal film is just as vividly poetic as its source.

Birdy is story of two unlikely boyhood friends, the confident and popular Al (Nicolas Cage – Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas) and Birdy (Matthew Modine – Full Metal Jacket, Stranger Things), awkward, withdrawn, and obsessed with birds. The advent of the war in Vietnam shatters their youth, and they both return irrevocably changed – one physically traumatised, the other emotionally fractured.

This unique and affecting film from director Alan Parker (Midnight Express, Angel Heart), features skilful, highly committed central performances from young stars Modine and Cage (who allegedly had teeth removed for his gruelling role), and a wonderful score by Peter Gabriel. Birdy is a great unsung gem of 1980s cinema, and is presented here in a brand-new, director-approved 2K restoration.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

• New 2K remaster supervised and approved by director Alan Parker
• Original stereo audio
• New and exclusive audio commentary with director Alan Parker and the BFI’s Justin Johnson
Learning to Fly (2019): new and exclusive interview with screenwriters Jack Behr and Sandy Kroopf
Keith Gordon on William Wharton (2019): the actor and filmmaker shares his experiences of adapting Wharton for the screen
No Hard Feelings (1974): Alan Parker’s early film is an unsentimental view of wartime London through the eyes of a troubled young man
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Frank Collins, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles, and film credits
• Limited Edition of 5,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD028
BBFC cert: 15
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071083

MichaelB

Re: 28 Birdy

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 am

Full specs confirmed:

jazzo

#3 Post by jazzo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 pm

This looks like an incredible release of a film I've held near and dear to my since my high school years in the mid-eighties. It meant so much to me at the time. I can't wait to revisit it.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:16 pm

Aunt Peg

#6 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:00 am

Watched it tonight and its a sensational presentation - perfect recreation of how it looked. I saw it a number of times when it was first release as well as on VHS and then DVD in the early 00s. The colour also match my much treasured lobby cards from the film. Great job Indicator.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:05 am

Alan Parker was closely involved with this release over and above recording the new commentary, so the presentation is very much with his blessing.

MichaelB

#8 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#9 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:01 am

Watched this one last night and it was completely awe-inspiring. While mounds of extras are of course appealing, I continue to look to labels like Indicator to curate films that I wouldn't otherwise check out. This film builds such an incredible bond between its two protagonists, and so uniquely and interestingly portrays an outcast/odd-duck high school student.

It may not make for much of an analysis, but I kept thinking about the recent kerfuffle with Martin Scorsese and his criticism of MCU, and all I could think about was how Birdy is such a perfect film which achieves so much of what Scorsese says cinema should do. The current day plot has incredibly high stakes that twist and turn and increase as the film progresses. The flashbacks paint a beautiful picture of two friends growing up. And up until the very last second of the film, we have no idea of what the outcome will be. Even in the final scene, it could have ended dozens of ways, all which would have been thematically satisfying. Sensational film.

The Curious Sofa

#10 Post by The Curious Sofa » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:21 am

This movie meant a lot to me in my early twenties when it came out. I think the last time I saw Birdy was the first time it was on TV. Haven’t seen it since and I always had the impression it might not hold up too well. Your endorsement makes me curious to rewatch it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:24 am

I actually wasn't feeling this (a bit too "loud" for my tastes) for much of the runtime, but then the ending made me reconsider. I agree--glad Indicator brought my attention to this!

therewillbeblus

#12 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Drucker wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:01 am
It may not make for much of an analysis, but I kept thinking about the recent kerfuffle with Martin Scorsese and his criticism of MCU, and all I could think about was how Birdy is such a perfect film which achieves so much of what Scorsese says cinema should do. The current day plot has incredibly high stakes that twist and turn and increase as the film progresses. The flashbacks paint a beautiful picture of two friends growing up. And up until the very last second of the film, we have no idea of what the outcome will be. Even in the final scene, it could have ended dozens of ways, all which would have been thematically satisfying. Sensational film.
Resounding endorsement! I haven't seen this film since I was in middle school at least. I don't recall the ending having as satisfying an effect on me, but I'm fully prepared to look at it with fresh eyes as a full-blown adult.

MichaelB

#13 Post by MichaelB » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I think the ending is an absolute knockout - right up there with Some Like It Hot in terms of perfectly concluding the film, and so casually and rapidly that you hardly register it at first.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#14 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:04 pm
I think the ending is an absolute knockout - right up there with Some Like It Hot in terms of perfectly concluding the film, and so casually and rapidly that you hardly register it at first.
I have been going through some issues in my personal life and right before that final shot my eyes completely welled up. A great film if you feel like crying! The ending works because the film does such a great balance of being coming of age story as well as deep psychology. If the ending had gone, let's say "the opposite" way, I think it could have negated the impact that the loving childhood scenes the two have. Instead, the film touches well on what it means to be your true self, while acknowledging your "true" self can change, grow, and even be two things at once.

therewillbeblus

#15 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 am

I just watched this again for the first time in about 20 years, and I’ll echo the praise for the ending, because man.. my stained memory recalled the “opposite” ending (I don’t know how). It’s perfect this way and makes the film so meaningful in the simplest aha moment, that recontextualizes the characters’ profiles to themselves and each other through demonstrating that they were already properly contextualized to begin with. The idea of fear as the acronym of ‘false evidence appearing real’ can mute that knowledge and access but in the face of so much trauma and isolative pain, how powerful to have an honest connection with, and love for, another.