1023 The Cremator

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
TMDaines

Re: 1023 The Cremator

#26 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am

Has anyone double dipped on the Criterion and found the picture quality to be demonstrably better, as opposed to just different? I'm tempted to just buy the Second Run in the current sale.

Edit: Jumping back and forth, I like the Second Run captures as much as 4K ones at least half the time, so Second Run it is.

mhofmann

#27 Post by mhofmann » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:42 am

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am
Has anyone double dipped on the Criterion and found the picture quality to be demonstrably better, as opposed to just different? I'm tempted to just buy the Second Run in the current sale.
I have both discs, and the most important thing one notices when comparing the two is how dirty the Second Run transfer is.
Screenshots alone cannot capture this adequately, and I never really minded not having seen the new 4K restoration, since I assumed the Second Run transfer would be the best we'd get in a while. But there's no way around it -- the old transfer has a remarkable amount of specks, dust, dirt, and the occasional image instability. It's highly noticeable in motion.
That alone makes the Criterion disc worth a purchase in my opinion, since the new transfer looks sparkly clean and stable, while exhibiting superior detail in places. Also, brightness and contrast seem to be balanced better on the new 4K restoration, whereas on the old transfer, there is occasional black crush.

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:05 am

mhofmann wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:42 am
TMDaines wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am
I have both discs, and the most important thing one notices when comparing the two is how dirty the Second Run transfer is.
Screenshots alone cannot capture this adequately, and I never really minded not having seen the new 4K restoration, since I assumed the Second Run transfer would be the best we'd get in a while. But there's no way around it -- the old transfer has a remarkable amount of specks, dust, dirt, and the occasional image instability. It's highly noticeable in motion.
That alone makes the Criterion disc worth a purchase in my opinion, since the new transfer looks sparkly clean and stable, while exhibiting superior detail in places. Also, brightness and contrast seem to be balanced better on the new 4K restoration, whereas on the old transfer, there is occasional black crush.
Thanks. Already bought the Second Run, so if I end up loving the film, I might be tempted to upgrade.

mhofmann

#29 Post by mhofmann » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:13 am

TMDaines wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:05 am
Thanks. Already bought the Second Run, so if I end up loving the film, I might be tempted to upgrade.
I think I know what the answer to this will be. ;-) At least it's one of my favorite films.
And yes, I am happy to have bought both releases in the end for the different extras.

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 am

Even if they were identical, I'd still be tempted to double-dip with the Criterion just for the Zdeněk Liška documentary.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#31 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:16 pm

Well I absolutely loved this film. With maybe one exception I have absolutely loved all the Czech New Wave films I've seen (like half a dozen of them). I picked this up on a whim because a graphic designer I like has a fan-made t-shirt I love. I just thought this film was an absolute joy. You can feel the director's excitement with his creepy protagonist, the excitement of using extremely distorted lenses in some of the chase scenes at the end, the excitement of making this character have basically no belief except whatever serves the cremation industry. Just seriously marvelous. Did I detect hints of what must have influenced The Conformist a bit? A really great film which straddles a ton of moods perfectly.