Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
beamish14

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3751 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Does anyone know who retains the rights to Alain Tanner's films in North America? It's not still New Yorker, is it?
If there is one big living director who I hope they eventually get around to finally releasing a title (or several) from,
I hope it's him. His collaborations with John Berger are definitely in need of rediscovery, particularly Jonah Who Will Be 25 in the Year 2000
and I love Messidor as well.

senseabove

#3752 Post by senseabove » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 pm

"Swiss Films" was the "Source" for a Tanner survey at BAMPFA last year. (On any given screening's page, you'll see that info listed under "Film Details.") It's a little ambiguous about whether that means they're also the rights-holder, but most of the time, if the print source and rights-holder differ, they'll also list "Permission" to indicate the latter.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#3753 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:54 am

Amazing Goose wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 pm
Has there been anything said about A Prairie Home Companion ever getting a Criterion release? Altman's final film (and a quasi-PTA film) and there's never been a blu-ray release that I can tell.
There’s no way I could imagine the current woke Criterion releasing a film involving the very cancelled Garrison Keillor.

Amazing Goose

#3754 Post by Amazing Goose » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:54 pm

Shame they couldn't grandfather him in under the "Roman Polanski" clause.

onedimension

#3755 Post by onedimension » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:44 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:54 am
Amazing Goose wrote:
Has there been anything said about A Prairie Home Companion ever getting a Criterion release? Altman's final film (and a quasi-PTA film) and there's never been a blu-ray release that I can tell.
There’s no way I could imagine the current woke Criterion releasing a film involving the very cancelled Garrison Keillor.
Someone has to be the first to nod off and get a little nap.. I nominate Criterion

onedimension

#3756 Post by onedimension » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:44 pm

The sexual morality stuff is.. I don't want to go off topic or be inflammatory, but - imagine if we stopped seeing films starring or directed by adulterers..

willoneill

#3757 Post by willoneill » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:49 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:54 am
Amazing Goose wrote:
Arrow has released multiple Altmans, and isn't a "woke", so maybe they'll release it instead.

FrauBlucher

#3758 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 pm

With Come and See's release I was thinking what else will be coming from MosFilm. Clearly Mirror and Dersu Uzala seem like the logical films next in the pipeline. Could there be something else, perhaps Eisenstein's films or a director I may not be familiar with?
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoloswegmaster

#3759 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:37 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 pm
With Come and See's release I was thinking what else will be coming from MosFilm. Clearly Mirror and Dursu Uzala seem like the logical films next in the pipeline. Could there be something else, perhaps Eisenstein's films or a director I may not be familiar with?
A user on the bluray forum decided to use their hacking abilities (AKA viewing Page Source) on the Janus website and found there were pages for Ivan The Terrible I and II. Maybe Criterion will upgrade the Eisenstein: The Sound Years boxset. On that note, does anyone know if Ballad of a Soldier has received a restoration?

kcota17

#3760 Post by kcota17 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:00 am

Considering the usual trends of how and when Criterion announces their special box sets, I’m betting either the Fellini set or WKW set (or both) will be announced today or tomorrow.

Calvin

#3761 Post by Calvin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 pm
With Come and See's release I was thinking what else will be coming from MosFilm. Clearly Mirror and Dursu Uzala seem like the logical films next in the pipeline. Could there be something else, perhaps Eisenstein's films or a director I may not be familiar with?
A user on the bluray forum decided to use their hacking abilities (AKA viewing Page Source) on the Janus website and found there were pages for Ivan The Terrible I and II. Maybe Criterion will upgrade the Eisenstein: The Sound Years boxset. On that note, does anyone know if Ballad of a Soldier has received a restoration?
It was restored back in 2012; there's a Russian Blu-Ray.

Other recent Mosfilm restorations include Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears, The Ascent, Zerograd, Welcome or No Trespassing and Courier. They have a well maintained website that lists year of restoration
Last edited by Calvin on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roscoe

#3762 Post by Roscoe » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:33 pm

The Eisenstein Sound FIlms have been/are running on the Criterion Channel. The picture in IVAN THE TERRIBLE, both parts, is spectacular. The sound is rather different -- it sounded like certain portions of the score had been re-recorded, it would go from familiar "old movie sound" to "contemporary loud and clear" within the space of a line of dialogue, if you see what I mean, and there were new opening titles.

JSC

#3763 Post by JSC » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 am

After a bit of speculation, it seems that Barnes and Noble are having their July 50% off Criterion sale starting today.

schellenbergk

#3764 Post by schellenbergk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:51 am

Roscoe wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:33 pm
The Eisenstein Sound FIlms have been/are running on the Criterion Channel. The picture in IVAN THE TERRIBLE, both parts, is spectacular. The sound is rather different -- it sounded like certain portions of the score had been re-recorded, it would go from familiar "old movie sound" to "contemporary loud and clear" within the space of a line of dialogue, if you see what I mean, and there were new opening titles.
Thanks for the update... I would love an upgrade of these.

Anyone remember when Criterion announced an Eisenstein Silent Era box set? On their printed inserts? Maybe 18 years ago? With all the recent Russian films, any chance this could finally appear?

willoneill

#3765 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:01 am

schellenbergk wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:51 am
Anyone remember when Criterion announced an Eisenstein Silent Era box set? On their printed inserts? Maybe 18 years ago? With all the recent Russian films, any chance this could finally appear?
I remember that set being listed as "Coming Soon" in the catalogue that was included in my Spartacus set. That said, I think many of the titles that would have been included have come out from other labels, so I don't think this set is coming anymore.

ThatKid

#3766 Post by ThatKid » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:31 am

JSC wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 am
After a bit of speculation, it seems that Barnes and Noble are having their July 50% off Criterion sale starting today.
It is also of note that a large amount of titles (Antichrist, amongst others) in this sale are Out-Of-Stock, and given the impact of the virus, I am confident that stock levels may not be replenished within our near future. Has there been any word from Criterion or anyone affiliated over their current stock levels of their catalog?

bad future

#3768 Post by bad future » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:02 pm

ThatKid wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:31 am
JSC wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 am
It is also of note that a large amount of titles (Antichrist, amongst others) in this sale are Out-Of-Stock, and given the impact of the virus, I am confident that stock levels may not be replenished within our near future. Has there been any word from Criterion or anyone affiliated over their current stock levels of their catalog?
For what it’s worth, almost everything I looked for Friday morning was out of stock on their website but I just re-checked several of the same titles and many were back in stock (Come and See, Do the Right Thing and Age of Innocence among them... though maybe this just applies to more popular titles; I haven’t checked as thoroughly this time.)

cjamescook

#3769 Post by cjamescook » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:56 pm

Whatever happened to The Eyes of Orson Welles?

It was released on film in 2018 (reviews are easily found), and Criterion announced that they would release it on disc in 2019, but here we are halfway through 2020 without anything. Did I miss something?

CSM126

#3770 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:25 pm

cjamescook wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Whatever happened to The Eyes of Orson Welles?

It was released on film in 2018 (reviews are easily found), and Criterion announced that they would release it on disc in 2019, but here we are halfway through 2020 without anything. Did I miss something?
Presumably they’re saving it to use as an extra on a future Welles release.

Roscoe

Re: Quarantined Monthly Guessing Thread

#3771 Post by Roscoe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am

THE GUNFIGHTER and PARASITE and PIERROT LE FOU and CLAUDINE and at least one more were up on the Coming Soon page just now, and then disappeared.

agnamaracs

#3772 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:56 am

Now it's Pierre le fou and The Hit.

Edit: and gone.

Roscoe

#3773 Post by Roscoe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:57 am

THE HIT was the other title. I'll be saving money in October, it seems.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3774 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am
THE GUNFIGHTER
Fucking A right. Can't believe Criterion picked this up, in a good way. One of the best Westerns ever, what a great choice

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3775 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 pm

I feel so bad for Signal One right now