1233 Gregg Araki’s Teen Apocalypse Trilogy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:41 pm

TK

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1233 Gregg Araki’s Teen Apocalypse Trilogy

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:11 pm

The Doom Generation was just released by Strand on Blu a couple months ago, wondering what the story is here

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:21 pm

Maybe they were at the end of their licensing window and made the jump at the last minute?

There actually seems to be a decent slate of extras in this set, so it should be fun. I'd love to see Araki's earlier feature The Long Weekend again: has it ever been released on disc?

beamish14

#4 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:03 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:21 pm
Maybe they were at the end of their licensing window and made the jump at the last minute?

There actually seems to be a decent slate of extras in this set, so it should be fun. I'd love to see Araki's earlier feature The Long Weekend again: has it ever been released on disc?

Long Weekend (O’ Despair) popped up recently because NYU’s Asian-American film library is hosting it online. It has never been commercially released in any form.

beamish14

#5 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:05 pm

I’m really curious about the revisionist color timing on Totally Fucked Up

Rupert Pupkin

#6 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:17 pm

I have bought several month ago the Director's Cut Blu-Ray of The Doom Generation (which was announced to be a 4K restoration on Strand web-site) - I was a bit disappointed by the lack of film grain texture and HD details could be better (it wasn't shot on DV?)- if Criterion release it on UHD I don't see how a UHD could look good with this blu-ray release by Strand, so I'm really hoping that something was wrong for the Strand blu-ray and that they can get the big file of the 4K restoration.

Now that Criterion announce this movie in UHD, can we expect the same transfer or could Criterion get his hands on the pre-master of the 4K restoration and save us from this what looks to me like an average Blu-Ray (just "ok" not stunning).
For what is worth, on Criterion web page about The Doom Generation the pictures have more grain (if these are screenshots) than the Strand transfer on my blu-ray.

andyli

#7 Post by andyli » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:53 pm

The Radiance Suzhou River looks much better than Strand's effort. So I wouldn't hesitate about Criterion doing it right.

Rupert Pupkin

#8 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:02 am

andyli wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:53 pm
The Radiance Suzhou River looks much better than Strand's effort. So I wouldn't hesitate about Criterion doing it right.
yes I was so disappointed to see Strand release of Suzhou River, until I bought the Radiance release; so let's cross the fingers. How Radiance can butcher a 4K restoration like this ? because "Doom Generation" is from the same 4K restoration that Criterion will use.
Nevertheless, I will wait until the Criterion box set is out and the tests to see if Criterion did a better use of the 4K restoration.

dwk

#9 Post by dwk » Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:36 am

Criterion has updated the extras and it now includes the audio commentary on The Doom Generation with Gregg Araki, James Duval, Rose McGowan, and Johnathon Schaech from the Strand release.

Marwood

#10 Post by Marwood » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Can anyone confirm if the 2-disc non UHD blu-ray package is also in a digipack, or is it a regular amaray? Thanks

therewillbeblus

#11 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:08 pm

Marwood wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm
Can anyone confirm if the 2-disc non UHD blu-ray package is also in a digipack, or is it a regular amaray? Thanks
Chris linked pics in the packaging thread here

yoloswegmaster

#12 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:56 pm

Your link doesn't show the packaging for the Blu-only release, which is what Marwood was asking about. I'm presuming that Chris only got the 4K release.

therewillbeblus

#13 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:02 pm

Whoops, missed that, sorry

cdnchris
Site Admin

#14 Post by cdnchris » Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:39 pm

I don't have it, but it is a standard Scanavo 2 disc case.

Rupert Pupkin

#15 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:04 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:39 pm
I don't have it, but it is a standard Scanavo 2 disc case.
like the Bo Widerberg box set ? I was disappointed.
How come blu-ray.com shows a digipack in their thread ? (this is a photo of the Araki's box set in digipack and it really looks like it is the Criterion release); is there a digipack only for blu-ray and the UHD+BR would be a Scanavo case ? or Canadian = Scanavo US = digipack or vice-versa ?

I have read the blu-ray.com review of the "Doom Generation" and I can read some comparison with the previous Blu-Ray US Strand release (which I have bought last year), and was a kind of disappointment (to say the least) because of the lack of HD details and film grain texture (despite the fact that it was the 4K director's cut restoration). Has Criterion improved it on its box set ? the PQ note is not that high (4/5) thus I'm wondering if this is in the end the same picture quality.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:34 pm

That was a four disc set

cdnchris
Site Admin

#17 Post by cdnchris » Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:01 pm

I'm sorry, which are we talking about? I have the 4K, which is a digipak. I thought the question was about the Blu-ray only, which is a standard case.

And as to Doom's picture, I don't want to get too much into it here, but it's pretty middling as a 4K, which i blame more on the film elements.

Rupert Pupkin

#18 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:01 am

cdnchris wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:01 pm
I'm sorry, which are we talking about? I have the 4K, which is a digipak. I thought the question was about the Blu-ray only, which is a standard case.

And as to Doom's picture, I don't want to get too much into it here, but it's pretty middling as a 4K, which i blame more on the film elements.
ah ok now I understand; but isn't the 4K UHD a combo Blu-Ray + UHD disks; or UHD only ? (so far I did not think that it was possible to buy only a UHD edition like Arrow)

regarding "The Doom Generation" PQ you didn't had the Strand Blu-Ray release to do a quick comparison ?... because really the Strand Blu-Ray was not better than the WEB 1080 release (based on the 4K restoration). It really lacks film texture grain and I sincerely hope that Criterion can do something; otherwise that's just a matter of bonus for this movie (and the 2 other movies).
"Happiness" for instance is amazing in terms of PQ; film texture grain. (I lost my password at blu-ray.com so for the moment I can not see the vidcaps in their full blu-ray resolution).

Matt

#19 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:24 am

I was confused by this release as well. The Blu-ray-only release is 2 Blu-ray discs. The UHD + Blu-ray release is those same 2 Blu-ray discs PLUS 1 UHD containing The Doom Generation and Nowhere. Totally F***ed Up is not on UHD because it was shot on 16mm and scanned at 2K.

Rupert Pupkin

#20 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:48 am

ok, I pre-ordered the UHD/Blu-Ray; so this will be a digipack; we'll see.
I remember when Arrow was Arrow the 16mm grain restoration of Fucking Åmål. From what I understood they took the master used already for the blu-ray release but they did preserve the grain and color grading. This box set was really gorgeous. One of the best Arrow IMHO.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#21 Post by cdnchris » Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:30 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:01 am
regarding "The Doom Generation" PQ you didn't had the Strand Blu-Ray release to do a quick comparison ?... because really the Strand Blu-Ray was not better than the WEB 1080 release (based on the 4K restoration). It really lacks film texture grain and I sincerely hope that Criterion can do something; otherwise that's just a matter of bonus for this movie (and the 2 other movies).
I didn't want to get too much into this but I'll just share my quick thoughts on this:

I don't have the Strand Blu-ray, so can't compare, but if it's close to what I saw streaming then yeah, this is better. Still, I'd say The Doom Generation is the weaker-looking of the three films, even in 4K. I'm blaming the elements more for this (softer image, weak black levels, a surprising amount of dirt and debris, etc.), but there are issues with the base master that are probably Strand's doing. Grain is a mixed bag. It's there but it's been filtered to varying degrees and isn't anywhere near as sharp or clean as it should be. I suspect since they used an interpositive grain was very heavy and they felt they had to tone it down. Though not perfect, the other two films, even Totally F***ed Up, look better in this area. Nowhere is probably the strongest looking one. I thought the colors in Doom were its strongest aspect.