The Future of Home Video

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

Re: The Future of Home Video

#476 Post by soundchaser » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:26 pm
The guy who runs an entire subreddit devoted to Blu-rays only owns 300 movies?
I don't think this is too surprising, given his age. I'm not sure I've got over 300 on my shelves, largely because I haven't been collecting all that long.

colinr0380

#477 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Also in what way in Maniac "obscure" when it recently had a remake starring Elijah Wood?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#478 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 pm

I know (IRL) a guy who goes to Best Buy and picks up all the new releases every Tuesday. He has a wife and a kid and it seems like a totally inexplicable waste of money, but he's a "Blu-ray collector" and doesn't see anything unusual about it. Normie Blu-ray collectors are definitely a thing

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#479 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 pm
I know (IRL) a guy who goes to Best Buy and picks up all the new releases every Tuesday. He has a wife and a kid and it seems like a totally inexplicable waste of money, but he's a "Blu-ray collector" and doesn't see anything unusual about it. Normie Blu-ray collectors are definitely a thing
I'd have a bigger issue with the crappy movies one's getting this way (like Peppermint and The Equalizer 2 this week), but I'm pretty much buying every BFI, Arrow, Criterion and Eureka releases and that's already quite a lot, so I'm probably not too far away, only on a different market (I guess).

John Cope

#480 Post by John Cope » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:06 am

On the other side of that, I've known several people over the years who have used purchasing as some kind of alternative rental system, buying up all the new releases at Target or wherever, watching them and then turning right around (often that same week) and selling them on ebay. I've never understood this process at all.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#481 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 am

I'm still seeing some people doing that currently. I think that now that physical rental is gone, if you want to see the movie through the BD format (for PQ, AQ and extras, for instance) and/or if your internet bandwidth isn't that good, there probably isn't any other way. But if you can buy a new release say $20 and resell it $10, it's not that bad. Especially compared to the price of a movie ticket (which IS technically similar to a rental).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#482 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 am

Redbox carries Blu-rays of many but not all mainstream movies available on Blu-ray, and they're everywhere and cheap

hearthesilence

#483 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 am

HMV is on the brink of another collapse. Just last year, I paid a visit to Fopp (owned by HMV) and mentioned that the U.S. used to have stores like them but they were now all gone. The clerk mentioned the troubles they had but everything seemed to have righted itself then. A massive pity, I didn't expect to get much but walked out with quite a haul for what seemed like bargain prices. (And I didn't even know about the VAT refunds you could get at the airport.)

McCrutchy

#484 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:24 pm

I have only limited sympathy for them, especially as they have started having more and more UK exclusive Blu-rays, but obviously continued not shipping them internationally. For example, it looks like I'm also going to have to buy The Children Act from a third party next month, because it's exclusive to HMV.

To be honest, though, I'm rather shocked that the UK has managed to keep HMV in business this long, considering that Amazon.co.uk must be quite dominant in its arenas, now, something which I'm certain is not good for most UK video labels.

Emilio

#485 Post by Emilio » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#486 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

The issue with Hunt here is that he's, in the end, conflating UHD with the overall physical market. If he expected UHD discs to massively take off, he just was wrong, but it doesn't mean it equates to the total market collapsing faster than it already is.
It just means, well, that the industry yet again pushed a physical medium that wasn't supported that so many consumers' expectations. On this matter, it surprises me there is so little deeper articles on comparing the actual sales figures vs what the industry has been trying to sell us in the past years but that are usually solely predictions. Last time I checked, most of the actual collected key figures were 25 to 33% below the original projections, but this wasn't preventing the industry to rave about how they were seemingly selling tons of UHDs and how they were planning to sell more and more.
Hell : they projected a 8 fold increase in UHDs sales from 2016 to 2017. Figures are very difficult to find on the Web (or you'll find some different figures for the same period) but the best I found was only a 3 fold increase.
Did the industry expressed this ? Nope.
Did any journalist pointed this out ? Nope.

Bill complains about The Wrath of Khan 4K HDR master not hitting the shelves, but how were the sales of the anniversary BD release (the one with the new restoration) already ?
I wouldn't be surprised if the sales weren't already very high on BD. Why would Paramount, a studio that already doesn't do many UHDs of its catalog, would then release it ?

As he mentions at the end of his article, actually, the handful of studios are the ones getting hit, but look at how many indies are currently feeding the Golden Age of Blu Rays !

FrauBlucher

#487 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

The one upside to this is it pretty much opens up all and any film to the boutiuques. It'll be interesting to see how quickly recent releases get licensed to the boutiques.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#488 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am

The last locks are indeed seemingly opening (Paramount, Warner), so I guess more and more indie labels will have a field day.

FrauBlucher

#489 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am

I know this is not the thread ... but I’d love to see Criterion get their hands on many of the Sony Classics line.

Emilio

#490 Post by Emilio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am
The issue with Hunt here is that he's, in the end, conflating UHD with the overall physical market. If he expected UHD discs to massively take off, he just was wrong, but it doesn't mean it equates to the total market collapsing faster than it already is.
It just means, well, that the industry yet again pushed a physical medium that wasn't supported that so many consumers' expectations. On this matter, it surprises me there is so little deeper articles on comparing the actual sales figures vs what the industry has been trying to sell us in the past years but that are usually solely predictions. Last time I checked, most of the actual collected key figures were 25 to 33% below the original projections, but this wasn't preventing the industry to rave about how they were seemingly selling tons of UHDs and how they were planning to sell more and more.
Hell : they projected a 8 fold increase in UHDs sales from 2016 to 2017. Figures are very difficult to find on the Web (or you'll find some different figures for the same period) but the best I found was only a 3 fold increase.
Did the industry expressed this ? Nope.
Did any journalist pointed this out ? Nope.

Bill complains about The Wrath of Khan 4K HDR master not hitting the shelves, but how were the sales of the anniversary BD release (the one with the new restoration) already ?
I wouldn't be surprised if the sales weren't already very high on BD. Why would Paramount, a studio that already doesn't do many UHDs of its catalog, would then release it ?

As he mentions at the end of his article, actually, the handful of studios are the ones getting hit, but look at how many indies are currently feeding the Golden Age of Blu Rays !
True and a good reminder. The amount of labels publishing wonderful Blu-Ray's is impressive...!

Orlac

#491 Post by Orlac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Let's face it, if every company stopped making discs tomorrow, we'd still have a lifetime to collect the ones already in circulation!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#492 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm

I'd probably need 2 lifetimes : one for my kevyip, then another one to collect the other titles already in circulation !