Criterion UK

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
nitin

Re: Criterion UK

#426 Post by nitin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am

Why not L’assassino? That’s right in their wheelhouse IMHO.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#427 Post by tenia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:21 am

This is probably me nitpicking a bit, but it's just that looking at how many movies they're releasing and what they're currently doing, sure Criterion could release it, but in how many years ?

It remains a darker crime movie which doesn't to me seems spontaneously belonging to Criterion's style, but also (IMO) a lesser Petri movie. (IMO again) Petri later made superior movies that would/should be picked first by Criterion before L'assassino. Investigation of course was the logical first choice, but I'd argue The Working Class Goes to Heaven would be 2nd (and IIRC, this one was recently restored). And tons of other italian movies they still haven't released, or upgraded. I mean, they still haven't upgraded Salvatore Giuliano, and I'd say it's a more important movie than L'assassino.

nitin

#428 Post by nitin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

True, but they have rights to plenty they haven’t released!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#429 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:37 am

That's also part of my reasoning. Criterion has been sitting on tons of titles they could release but still haven't, and I strongly believe that they would prioritise other stuff over what Arrow has been releasing.
Again, it's not to say what Arrow has released isn't good, and it's just my overall feeling (and I might be completely wrong), but that's how I see this kind of things.