Kino

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
jsteffe

Re: Kino

#3101 Post by jsteffe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm

I hope that they consider picking up Zoltán Huszárik's Szindbád (1971) again someday. It's one of the most beautiful color films ever made, and Kino used to distribute it years ago. It's ripe for rediscovery in the U.S.

Roscoe

#3102 Post by Roscoe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Timec wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am
Kino will be releasing ten restored Hungarian films:
Variety wrote:Kino Lorber has announced that it has acquired North American rights for ten newly restored classics from the Hungarian National Film Fund- Film Archive.

The titles includes “Mephisto,” directed by István Szabó, which won the Best Foreign Language Film at the 1981 Academy Awards; “Colonel Redl,” directed by Szabó and a 1986 Academy Award nominee; Szabo’s “Confidence,” winner of the Silver Bear for Best Director at the 1980 Berlin International Film Festival and 1981 Academy Award nominee.

The others are “My 20th Century, directed by Ildikó Enyedi; and six films by Miklós Jancsó — “The Red and White,” “The Confrontation,” “Elektra, My Love,” “The Round-Up,” “Winter Wind” and “Red Psalm,”which won the Best Director award at 1972 Cannes Film Festival.
There's a lot of overlap with Second Run here, but I'll be happy to upgrade the Jancsó titles (assuming they're released on BD.)
Great news about MEPHISTO -- one of the most strangely neglected films around, it has fallen off the map for just far too long.

fdm

#3103 Post by fdm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Wasn't "Hanussen" part of a trilogy along with "Mephisto" and "Colonel Redl"? (Just going by faint memory.) Seems to be the neglected title for some reason. (Wiki sez informal trilogy.)

nitin

#3104 Post by nitin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am

Will there be a boxset? Would pre-order that right now!

colinr0380

#3105 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

fdm wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm
Wasn't "Hanussen" part of a trilogy along with "Mephisto" and "Colonel Redl"? (Just going by faint memory.) Seems to be the neglected title for some reason. (Wiki sez informal trilogy.)
Yes, they are often considered a trilogy as all three films star Klaus Maria Brandauer in, as Wikipedia notes, a "series of roles based on historical figures who, as represented in the films, compromised their morals in order to climb the ladder of success within a context of authoritarian political power". Colonel Redl is a little less celebrated partly because Mephisto won the Foreign Language Academy Award (though Colonel Redl won the Jury Prize at Cannes), and perhaps also because it is dealing with a World War I era figure rather than Nazism, but its worth thinking of all three films as loosely thematically connected (I sometimes think of them superficially in the same way as the three historical Aleksandr Sokurov films Moloch, Taurus and The Sun, though of course The Sun has a different actor in the major historical figure role, and those films are dealing more with central figureheads losing their grip on power)

onedimension

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#3106 Post by onedimension » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I know they’re not “studio classics”, but would love to hear from the Kino Insider if they have any plans to repackage on blu ray some of their existing sets - The Movies Begin, Edison..