The Simpsons

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Simpsons

#801 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Fun fact: in syndication they cut out all the violence from the Mr Smith parody, making the rest of the episode incoherent because you couldn't tell what the outrage was about

colinr0380

#802 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:30 pm

That reminds me that I caught a recent TV showing of the Lisa vs Malibu Stacy episode that cut out this moment, which left the characters just reacting to someone turning on their computer! (And almost made it seem filthier!)

Donald Brown

#803 Post by Donald Brown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 pm

An interview with Mike Reiss on the great podcast Chapo Trap House, discussing his new book Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets and Outright Lies From a Lifetime of Writing For The Simpsons.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#804 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Donald Brown wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 pm
An interview with Mike Reiss on the great podcast Chapo Trap House, discussing his new book Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets and Outright Lies From a Lifetime of Writing For The Simpsons.
I second this being a very enjoyable listen - and while I empathize with his reasons for disliking The Critic, I could never ever agree with him that it's anything but excellent

Orlac

#805 Post by Orlac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:11 pm

I don't know if The Critic was ever shown in the UK, but when I first saw the cross-over epsiode with The Simpsons in 2001, I assumed Jay Sherman was a real life critic (despite the "cheap cartoon cross-over" line!)

colinr0380

#806 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:13 pm

The Critic was never shown on mainstream UK TV (unlike even Duckman, which at least got its first two seasons shown on the BBC, double billed with Seinfeld), although I don't know if it turned up on satellite channels. I don't think it ever received a DVD release in the UK either.

(That's actually the opposite of my experience with The Royal Tenenbaums, where I have to admit that I assumed that Charlie Rose was one of those fake joke interviewers purely created for the DVD on my first viewing of the extras!)