Martin Scorsese

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

FrauBlucher

Re: Martin Scorsese

#376 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:19 pm

What a great read. He could easily live another 15 years and maybe more, but when that comes he will be sorely missed. I can’t think of anyone who has given more to the movie industry and the art and lifeline of film then him. Very few Hollywood directors have been active in their later years, let alone as prolific as Scorsese. It reminds me of a Q&A of Kundun I attended at it’s release time. He was taking questions from the audience, which were industry people. It was a DGA event. An older gentleman asked him, “wasn’t it hard and difficult for you at your age.” Scorsese looked incredulous at the man, answered his almost insulting question with “no, that’s what I do.”

Clearly his Italian American Catholic upbringing (I can relate) helps put into a sort of focus and meaning to what his life is and was and will be when mortality is around the corner. And by the way, nothing wrong with that.

I don’t love everything he’s done but I respect the shit out of all he’s done.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#377 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Of course all anyone online wants to talk about is his Joker dig

FrauBlucher

#378 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:06 pm

.... Principal Iger wants to meet with the nasty pupil Scorsese. How ridiculous.

Big Ben

#379 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:21 pm
Of course all anyone online wants to talk about is his Joker dig
Independent of my own feelings on the film it's fascinating that for something these individuals seem to want to dismiss so readily as pernicious Joker sure seems to exist rent free in their heads. Of all the things to take from this interview it boggles my mind that his discussion of mortality isn't endlessly more interesting thing to talk about.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#380 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:39 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:06 pm
.... Principal Iger wants to meet with the nasty pupil Scorsese. How ridiculous.
Sounds like some renewed consideration of their treatment of the Fox catalog could come out of it, though. Scorsese's smart to be taking the meeting, despite how insulting it is.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#381 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am

Scorsese now has the second most Academy nominations for Best Director with nine, behind only William Wyler's twelve.

Reverend Drewcifer

#382 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Today I Learned: Barry Sonnenfeld completed the last week of photography on Goodfellas when Michael Ballhaus left to fulfill his commitment on Postcards from the Edge. The information has been out there for years, but I only clocked it yesterday when Sonnenfeld locked the gates with Marc Maron.

beamish14

#383 Post by beamish14 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Reverend Drewcifer wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:57 pm
Today I Learned: Barry Sonnenfeld completed the last week of photography on Goodfellas when Michael Ballhaus left to fulfill his commitment on Postcards from the Edge. The information has been out there for years, but I only clocked it yesterday when Sonnenfeld locked the gates with Marc Maron.

I've been meaning to read Sonnenfeld's autobiography. The world of cinema losing him as a cinematographer is tragic, as Three O'Clock High
is one of the most dynamically filmed movies I've ever seen.

Reverend Drewcifer

#384 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Sonnenfeld is making the rounds of podcasts (which I guess is the way to do promo in the age of quarantine). He was on WTF, Alec Baldwin's Here's the Thing, as well as Norm Wilner's Someone Else's Movie talking about The Long Goodbye. I believe he was on Jenny McCarthy's show, but I wouldn't recommend giving her any bandwidth.

DarkImbecile

#385 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Jonas Mekas' hour-long documentary on Scorsese made during production of The Departed, Notes on an American Film Director at Work: Martin Scorsese, was recently posted to Vimeo and features some excellent footage if you've never seen it.

therewillbeblus

#386 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 pm
Jonas Mekas' hour-long documentary on Scorsese made during production of The Departed, Notes on an American Film Director at Work: Martin Scorsese, was recently posted to Vimeo and features some excellent footage if you've never seen it.
This was actually already posted a couple days ago :wink:

DarkImbecile

#387 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Other people post here? Learn something new every day...

Non-facetious response: I ran searches for “Scorsese” and “Mekas” and didn’t come up with anything recent enough to have captured it, since the post in the Departed thread includes neither.

therewillbeblus

#388 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 17, 2020 10:38 pm

I’m just being playful since you’ve been (understandably) outspoken about double posts before, not surprised that you did such a thorough check though!

swo17

#389 Post by swo17 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:41 pm

My guess is that DarkImbecile ran searches for “Scorsese” and “Mekas” and didn’t come up with anything recent enough to have captured it, since the post in the Departed thread includes neither.

DarkImbecile

#390 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:38 pm
I’m just being playful since you’ve been (understandably) outspoken about double posts before, not surprised that you did such a thorough check though!
Really the thing that makes me nuts is not so much missing a post in a different thread/sub-forum, but posting some piece of news a few posts down from the original post... which I’ve also been guilty of recently! So glass houses, throwing stones, etc.

therewillbeblus

#391 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun May 17, 2020 11:52 pm

Yeah I know, it felt like a good opportunity to rib anyway

DarkImbecile

#392 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Scorsese shot a short film for the BBC about COVID-19 self-isolation through the lens of classic movies:
"Martin Scorsese makes a wonderful end to the series. We see him at home, thinking about lockdown through the lens of classic movies, like Hitchcock's The Wrong Man," said host Beard. "But what's really clever is that this great Hollywood luminary also gets us to look at Hitchcock again afresh through the lens of our current predicament. I was absolutely over the moon when he agreed to do it for us. It feels a bit like hosting a little premiere. And it all contributes to a pretty amazing finale."