1233 Gregg Araki’s Teen Apocalypse Trilogy

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

1233 Gregg Araki’s Teen Apocalypse Trilogy

#1 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:41 pm

TK

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 1233 Gregg Araki’s Teen Apocalypse Trilogy

#2 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:11 pm

The Doom Generation was just released by Strand on Blu a couple months ago, wondering what the story is here

zedz

#3 Post by zedz » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:21 pm

Maybe they were at the end of their licensing window and made the jump at the last minute?

There actually seems to be a decent slate of extras in this set, so it should be fun. I'd love to see Araki's earlier feature The Long Weekend again: has it ever been released on disc?

beamish14

#4 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:03 pm

zedz wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:21 pm
Maybe they were at the end of their licensing window and made the jump at the last minute?

There actually seems to be a decent slate of extras in this set, so it should be fun. I'd love to see Araki's earlier feature The Long Weekend again: has it ever been released on disc?

Long Weekend (O’ Despair) popped up recently because NYU’s Asian-American film library is hosting it online. It has never been commercially released in any form.

beamish14

#5 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:05 pm

I’m really curious about the revisionist color timing on Totally Fucked Up

Rupert Pupkin

#6 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:17 pm

I have bought several month ago the Director's Cut Blu-Ray of The Doom Generation (which was announced to be a 4K restoration on Strand web-site) - I was a bit disappointed by the lack of film grain texture and HD details could be better (it wasn't shot on DV?)- if Criterion release it on UHD I don't see how a UHD could look good with this blu-ray release by Strand, so I'm really hoping that something was wrong for the Strand blu-ray and that they can get the big file of the 4K restoration.

Now that Criterion announce this movie in UHD, can we expect the same transfer or could Criterion get his hands on the pre-master of the 4K restoration and save us from this what looks to me like an average Blu-Ray (just "ok" not stunning).
For what is worth, on Criterion web page about The Doom Generation the pictures have more grain (if these are screenshots) than the Strand transfer on my blu-ray.

andyli

#7 Post by andyli » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:53 pm

The Radiance Suzhou River looks much better than Strand's effort. So I wouldn't hesitate about Criterion doing it right.

Rupert Pupkin

#8 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:02 am

andyli wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:53 pm
The Radiance Suzhou River looks much better than Strand's effort. So I wouldn't hesitate about Criterion doing it right.
yes I was so disappointed to see Strand release of Suzhou River, until I bought the Radiance release; so let's cross the fingers. How Radiance can butcher a 4K restoration like this ? because "Doom Generation" is from the same 4K restoration that Criterion will use.
Nevertheless, I will wait until the Criterion box set is out and the tests to see if Criterion did a better use of the 4K restoration.